PDA

View Full Version : Great Spotted Woodpecker

Jonathan Michael Ashton
03-18-2008, 04:30 AM
I would appreciate your comments please especially regarding exposure, colours and contrast. Until this shot I did a fair bit of adjustment in Adobe RAW but this time I did the majority in CS2. Does the image have enough contrast and vibrance?:confused:

Taken midday in December (bright) from a hide in the back garden
ISO 200
1/400 sec @ f8
Average metering -2/3 stop
Canon 20D and Canon 100-400 f5.6L IS lens

Robert O'Toole
03-18-2008, 07:42 AM
Good sharpness and detail and you did a great job on the exposure considering the difficult/contrasty lighting.

I think this subject would be a good with a horiz crop. This would give the bird much more room, its too tight now, and also this would crop out that branch at the top. The background has 2 things against it the OOF quality is poor and the tone is very dark.

Robert

Jonathan Michael Ashton
03-18-2008, 09:40 AM
Thanks robert - much appreciated. Unfortunately the image was shot in portrait mode so there isn't much more width - but I take your point. The background, you say is poor quality - what do you mean - is it too busy with lighter and darker elements?

Jon

Glenn Bartley
03-18-2008, 10:14 AM
Processing looks good to me. I like the image but think that either a horizontal crop or adding some canvas to the right would make it better.

Gus Cobos
03-18-2008, 11:20 AM
Hi Jonathan,
Very nice, I love the colors and contrast... For my taste, I would lighten the background just a tad, and eliminate the branch at the top...I would also add more canvas to the right to give the subject more space...

BIG CONGRATS...:D

Gus...:cool:

Daniel Cadieux
03-18-2008, 11:20 AM
I find the exposure, contrast, and colours good. More space in front would be great, and with this image it should not be difficult to add some canvas. I don't mind the darkness of the BG, but the blotching, and especially the brighter spots are not ideal. A great looking woodpecker!!

Robert O'Toole
03-18-2008, 11:50 AM
Thanks robert - much appreciated. Unfortunately the image was shot in portrait mode so there isn't much more width - but I take your point. The background, you say is poor quality - what do you mean - is it too busy with lighter and darker elements?

Jon

Yes, doesnt look very smooth with the lighter and darker blotches. Its okay if the BG is smooth and light or dark but not both :)

Robert

Jonathan Michael Ashton
03-18-2008, 04:30 PM
Hey you guys don't laugh but I have just discovered how to add canvas, and yes the shot looks better now!
Jon

Maxis Gamez
03-18-2008, 07:26 PM
Hi John,

This image should be horizontal. The bird looks like is facing a wall and that's what a horizontal composition will fix. I do like the details, exposure and BG.