PDA

View Full Version : LeConte's Sparrow in Flight - Suggestions Welcome

Paul Guris
01-04-2011, 09:43 PM
First, this is definitely a documentation shot and not one for my living room wall. LeConte's Sparrow is a rare bird in New Jersey where a group of us found and documented an unprecedented 3 of them in the same field. I managed to get this flight shot, which isn't easy for a skulker like this.

I've already cropped it as hard as I think I dare. I upped the contrast a bit and sharpened it kinda' hard. Any suggestions on how I might make this a better image would be greatly appreciated.

Nikon D90, Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6
ISO 1600, f/8, 1/2000, 0EV, 400mm

annmpacheco
01-04-2011, 10:09 PM
Congrats on this elusive bird. I like the contrast and detail of the grass and the bird. Really like the wings and tail feathers indicating that fancy maneuvering. There was one LeConte's sparrow up here in Milford, CT this last fall. Could have sold tickets!
I'm not able to tell you how to do something that will improve this image, but I'll gladly take a lesson as I follow the coming feedback. Sure can see that mellow orange throughout the face and throat. TFS, Ann

James Shadle
01-05-2011, 01:43 AM
Paul,
I think you've done all you can.

This is what I call a "shot of record". Sometimes they are just that.
Even in unfavorable conditions or situations that you know will net you less than a Wall hanger", take that shot of record!

pat lillich
01-05-2011, 08:49 AM
hey Paul, thats a neat bird - congratulations on catching the image. I'll be interested to see if anyone has suggestions for you - I've got a few "shot of records" that I'd love to improve too.

Peter Farrell
01-05-2011, 04:56 PM
Congratulations on your capture. Good record shot. TFS
Peter

Julie Kenward
01-05-2011, 07:19 PM
I agree with James...I think you've gotten all you can out of this one but it's definitely a keeper. Congrats on having the camera ready to go as he flew by!

Paul Guris
01-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the comments. I may tweak it a bit with some local sharpening, but it seems that I may have done all that I can.

I did get some distant but decent shots of all 3 birds we found. I like this in particular, though it's only seen some slam-bam post-processing like a quick crop and basic sharpening.