PDA

View Full Version : Eager to Freeze

Julie Kenward
01-04-2011, 09:27 PM
Another image from the base of the frozen fountain...this is where the grass meets the sidewalk. Each of those big blogs is a clump of grass...pretty cool, eh?

Why some came off as blue and others were white is beyond me. Anybody have any idea? :confused:

Canon 40D, EF 400mm f/4L
f20 @ 1/160th, ISO 200
Manual mode, pattern metering, handheld, bright sunlight
ACR & CS5; Topaz Infocus for sharpening

Cloned out a few strands of grass and some white glare spots, small crop.

Allen Sparks
01-04-2011, 11:03 PM
wow Julie this is cool. Kinda looks like a glacial formation. I like the flat ice in front and then the circular formations.

Canon 400mm f4? Are you shooting with a 400 DO now? I use one for birds.

Allen

Brendan Dozier
01-04-2011, 11:29 PM
That is cool, and not just temp wise:cool: Nice macro shot, great patterns and composition.
I was imagining what an image of a miniature person would look like walking through that land of the lost type environment. Maybe cool for an OOTB type image

Julie Kenward
01-05-2011, 08:45 AM
Brendan, I took several images that day that I plan to use for that very purpose!

Allen, what's a DO? My 400mm is a f4/L. ???

Ken Childs
01-05-2011, 08:52 AM
Looks like we have a 'cool' series going here! I really like the assortment of colors and shapes you're capturing. :)

Maybe this page can answer your blue color question.
http://www.webexhibits.org/causesofcolor/5C.html

Julie Kenward
01-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Very interesting, Ken! Thanks!

Allen Sparks
01-05-2011, 10:01 AM
Julie, DO stands for Diffractive Optics and is used on a 400 f4 lens that Canon currently makes. I did not know that Canon ever had a 400mm f4 L. Is it an older lens?

Allen

Julie Kenward
01-05-2011, 10:40 AM
Allen, I bought it used from Axel Hildebrandt about 1-1/2 years ago so, yeah, I'd say it's probably an older lens.

Anita Bower
01-05-2011, 02:33 PM
This image does not work as well for me as your prior frozen fountain ones. Not as abstract, and the lower third is not as interesting. I'm going to quit critiquing for now as I seem to be on a negative bent.

Norm Dulak
01-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Jules, again, a very nice offering. That's one magical fountain! :)

Andrew McLachlan
01-05-2011, 04:30 PM
Hi Julie, very, very cool!:)

Julie Kenward
01-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Anita, I agree that it doesn't have the same pop as the other two but I couldn't get over the detail in the flat area (sidewalk) compared to the slick area of the grass. And it's okay not to love one of my images...I'd rather have the truth than smoke blown up my skirt! (Not that I ever wear skirts!!!)

Roman Kurywczak
01-05-2011, 10:01 PM
Hey Jules,
Hmmmmm.....I'm with Anita on this one isn't as cool as the others.....but I'm not touching the smoke up the skirt thing:2eyes2::p.......I like the contrast of the FG....but perhaps tilting the camera......to get the angle more parallel in this case???.....not sure.......but forzen q-tips have got nothin' on this!!!........I still like it.....just not sure on the angle.

Anita Bower
01-06-2011, 07:34 AM
Anita, I agree that it doesn't have the same pop as the other two but I couldn't get over the detail in the flat area (sidewalk) compared to the slick area of the grass. And it's okay not to love one of my images...I'd rather have the truth than smoke blown up my skirt! (Not that I ever wear skirts!!!)

Thanks. I expected this response from you. :-) No smoke up your pant legs.