PDA

View Full Version : By the Side of the Road!

Roman Kurywczak
01-04-2011, 05:26 PM
I may have passed this formation 1000 times over all the times I have been to Arches......really! This is right by the side of the road and it must have been the light and the sky that grabbed my eye.......had to stop! This one has no name as far as I know.
I have debated the sky crop.....but when they are this nice......I just have to keep it all!
Canon 1D Mark lll with the 17-40mm lens at 25mm for 1/100 sec at f22 and ISO 400 (to freeze clouds) all tripod mounted w/ graf studioball head and bubble level in HS. Saved at 50 quality.

Andrew McLachlan
01-04-2011, 08:27 PM
Hey Roman, nice comp. Amazing how many times you can drive by a scene until one day it hits you and you stop to shoot it. Definitely keep the sky. The clouds on the right look a little noisy or is it due to 50% quality?

Roman Kurywczak
01-04-2011, 09:10 PM
I'm betting the 50%.....but will double check. Thanks!

Dave Mills
01-04-2011, 10:40 PM
Hi Roman, The sky is a huge part of this image giving it the drama that carries the rock formation.
Good light and nicely framed! I also like the small arches silhouetted in the far distance...

Robert Amoruso
01-04-2011, 11:01 PM
The clouds is what makes this and you positioned their outflow from the rock formation perfectly.

Norm Dulak
01-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Hi Roman. I am continually amazed by the fascinating places you visit and the beautiful images you bring back for the rest of us. I agree with your view and the comments of others concerning the sky; it really is very nice. :)

My only suggestion would be to crop off some from the left side of the image, to move the main peak a bit off of dead center. :cheers:

Richard Lovison
01-06-2011, 11:49 AM
Hi Robert, :)

Love the composition as it is. I agree with Robert A. that the clouds make this image with their placement in relation to the rock formation and their overall shape . Beautiful capture.

Only one thing bothers me and only slightly. The amount of sharpening seems to be over done just a bit as the shrubs in the lower left hand corner seem a bit edgy.

All the best,
Richard Lovison

Andrew Aveley
01-08-2011, 10:59 AM
it is sometimes the most obvious formations we sometimes ignore. the light, clouds and composition here have made this a superb image:cool:

Daniel Cadieux
01-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Those clouds are way awesome, and I love the play between warm and cool colours of the ground and sky. I like the careful comp to avoid clipping any boulder, and including all of the bushes in lower right.

Morkel Erasmus
01-10-2011, 02:09 PM
gotta love the light here Roman! great tones as well throughout!

Jay Gould
01-11-2011, 02:47 AM
Agree with Norm, I would trim the green line off of the left side.

The sky rocks!

Rocky Sharwell
01-11-2011, 08:32 AM
I need to drive on this road sometime...

Roman Kurywczak
01-11-2011, 05:55 PM
Thanks All! I feel the greenery acts a bit like framing.....if I remove it.....then I would probably remove/fix the bottom greenery.....will explore it though. Thanks again!