PDA

View Full Version : Longwood Orchid with blue sky

Nick Palmieri
01-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Took this last summer at Longwood Gardens. I wanted to post it near Romans Florida Orchid with a blue sky to the challenge, real or fake sky? ISO 100, SS 1s, f/22, 100mm and flash on a bracket with a diffuser.

Andrew McLachlan
01-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Hey Nick, wonderful orchids. I'm sticking with the fake sky comment in Roman's post.:)

Brendan Dozier
01-04-2011, 11:05 PM
Nice image. It looks like there is a shadow on the sky BG, so it would seem to be fake.

Allen Sparks
01-04-2011, 11:08 PM
nice orchids....I would say fake sky

Ken Childs
01-05-2011, 08:44 AM
Hey Nick, the orchids and the comp look good the but I find myself wanting a little more light on the left flower and on the stem....actually the lower 1/3 of this image looks a little dark so maybe try lightening up that area. I'll go with a photo for the BG. :)

Roman Kurywczak
01-05-2011, 09:54 AM
He, he , he ,he.....someone caught the shadow on you!:p.....lighten it up a bit more and pay special attention to the shadow area!

Nick Palmieri
01-05-2011, 10:53 AM
well I guess that gives it away! I think i removed the shadow on the original TIFF but apparently on that one. Using the one flash apparently gave me a shadow. i will look for the TIFF without a shadow and try to re-post but the challenge is gone.

Linda Dulak
01-06-2011, 08:02 AM
Nick: As I said to Roman below, the sky against the orchid makes me uneasy and I couldn't figure it all out until I thought about how these plants grow. They would not be found in the sunlight as sun burns them. They are plants of the shade so a green or brown background indicating bark or leaves behind them would be more appropriate. Nice orchid though. That orchid room at Longwood is special to me and I always spend a lot of time there when I visit.

Linda

Jonathan Ashton
01-07-2011, 11:49 AM
Nice orchid - sorry I am behind regards comments on skies but are you asking is it a false background? I get the impression it is indeed false. The flower does not appear to be the same level of brilliance (probably the flash) but I get the impression the sky has been manipulated - I don't really recognise the colours and the bottom of the frame seems too dark???.