PDA

View Full Version : Another Orchid

Roman Kurywczak
01-04-2011, 02:25 PM
Another of my Orchid purchases when I was down in Miami. Some of you know that I like to use BG's in my flower images.....the whole time I was taking this, I was wondering if you could figure out if it was a real sky.....or a picture of one.......that I placed in the BG! Let's see if you can guess!
Canon 1D Mark lll with the Sigma 180mm macro at ISO 800 at f22 and 1/100 sec. with the MT 24 twin lights at 0. Silver reflector used to open up RH buds.

Nick Palmieri
01-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Really like the composition here and the inclusion of the two buds. I know the answer to the question about the sky so I won't comment. I will post one of my Longwood Orchids for comparison.

Andrew McLachlan
01-04-2011, 08:37 PM
Hey Roman, nice blossom and comp. I am gonna go with a photo of clouds in sky for the BG.

Allen Sparks
01-04-2011, 11:14 PM
nice flowers and well composed Roman. I like the flower and stem placement. I will say picture BG.

Ken Childs
01-05-2011, 08:26 AM
Lovely flower, lovely colors, lovely comp....this is lovely! :D

I'll also go with a print for the BG.

Anita Bower
01-05-2011, 02:30 PM
Roman: I will say photo BG. For some reason the image looks soft. No one else mentioned it, so perhaps it is just how it looks on my monitor. The blue sky with clouds does little to complement the lovely orchid, so I would suggest a different BG.

Norm Dulak
01-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Roman: I will say photo BG. For some reason the image looks soft. No one else mentioned it, so perhaps it is just how it looks on my monitor. The blue sky with clouds does little to complement the lovely orchid, so I would suggest a different BG.

Hi Roman. I'm afraid that I have to agree with Anita here. :( Whatever the nature of the background, it does not enhance my perception of the flower. And the flower does seem a bit soft to me.

Roman Kurywczak
01-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Thanks all!! No worries on the BG....I have the green one with this orchid......but bad news......you were all wrong!!!:p......real sky! This is why I took the image against the sky in the first place......if done correctly, you shouldn't be able to tell! Outdoors/natural diffused light/real S Miami sky!

PS It is tack on the original RAW.....so will double check the tiff and jpeg.

Linda Dulak
01-06-2011, 07:58 AM
Roman: I've looked at the two orchid images posted and they didn't feel right to me but I couldn't figure out why. Then I thought about it for a while and figured it all out. Orchids grow in the shade. They need some good light but not sun. I doubt many would be photographed against the sky like this if they were in their native habitat. For that reason I'd prefer a brownish (bark) or greenish (leaves) background which I think would do more justice to this beauty.

Linda

Anita Bower
01-06-2011, 08:17 AM
Roman: I've looked at the two orchid images posted and they didn't feel right to me but I couldn't figure out why. Then I thought about it for a while and figured it all out. Orchids grow in the shade. They need some good light but not sun. I doubt many would be photographed against the sky like this if they were in their native habitat. For that reason I'd prefer a brownish (bark) or greenish (leaves) background which I think would do more justice to this beauty.

Linda

This was my thinking as well.

Anita Bower
01-06-2011, 08:18 AM
Thanks all!! No worries on the BG....I have the green one with this orchid......but bad news......you were all wrong!!!:p......real sky! This is why I took the image against the sky in the first place......if done correctly, you shouldn't be able to tell! Outdoors/natural diffused light/real S Miami sky!

PS It is tack on the original RAW.....so will double check the tiff and jpeg.

Good for you, fooling us! :)

Roman Kurywczak
01-06-2011, 10:30 AM

Linda
Actually Linda......makes sense!!! I'll work on the green one soon.

Roman Kurywczak
01-06-2011, 10:33 AM
I don't know Anita.......might not be good that you all thought it was fake!!!:D