PDA

View Full Version : Gharagab Wilderness Camp

Morkel Erasmus
01-04-2011, 03:46 AM
I captured this image one morning during our June 2010 trip to the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park in Southern Africa. This was taken from a viewing platform in the Gharagab Wilderness Camp, a small secluded camp with only 4 sleeping units (which are visible in this shot).

The camp has a seemingly endless vista over the Kalahari dune-fields, and also has a small waterhole in front of the huts which brought among others a Brown Hyena and African Wild Cat to drink in the evenings and many other animals during the day.

There aren't many game-drive paths around this camp, it's basically a 4x4 access route to it and from it back to the main Nossob riverbed. This makes it an ideal camp for a 2-day relaxing period during your Kalahari trip. We spent hours just sitting on the decks gazing over the bush.

Techs:
Canon 7D with 10-22mm USM
f16 @ 1/10 SS @ ISO-100
Polariser

Jay Sheinfield
01-04-2011, 05:53 AM
Nice shot. The colors are great. You really get a sense of back country with the image. If it were mine, I might eject the far right sleeping unit. The horizon appears to need a touch of CW rotation, but that could be an illusion from the line of the sleeping units.............Otherwise, well done.

Roman Kurywczak
01-04-2011, 12:08 PM
My kind of place Morkel! I do think this showcases the vastness and gives a sense of the place. You may consider bringing up the structures a bit more to make them a bit more of a focal point.....but that may also take away from the way they blend in.......so tough call there.......now if only there was an ele in there:D!

Dave Mills
01-04-2011, 04:35 PM
Agree with Roman's points. Good light and agree about the possibility of showcasing the houses more. I would take out that small piece of car on the left...

Robert Amoruso
01-04-2011, 10:57 PM
I agree, opening up the shadow sides of the huts would be a good move Morkel.

Morkel Erasmus
01-10-2011, 03:46 PM
thanks for the comments, gents...

the hut on the RHS is actually the caretaker's residence

Roman - there are no elephants in this part of the Kalahari...:(

Jay Gould
01-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Morkel, agree with the comments.

When you posted this, is the horizontal side 1024?

Morkel Erasmus
01-15-2011, 01:09 PM
I posted this one @ 800px wide Jay
I couldn't find a larger JPG. This photo has been picked up for an official brochure thanks to my agency. Expecting the cheque soon :)

Jay Gould
01-15-2011, 03:22 PM
Congratulations!!