PDA

View Full Version : Lens Hood(s) on Nikon 600 mm

Fred Canter
01-04-2011, 12:02 AM
I've always been of the opinion that the use of the second lens hood was unnecessary for nature photography. I don't recall reading any information concerning the use of both hoods, other than some sport photographers saying it gives added protection when on the sidelines of a football game. Am I loosing anything by not using the second hood?
I've never tested if there is a difference but it just seems to make an already large lens more difficult to carry.
Opinions?

Desmond Chan
01-04-2011, 12:56 AM
Am I loosing anything by not using the second hood?
I've never tested if there is a difference but it just seems to make an already large lens more difficult to carry.
Opinions?

Well, just take two photos and find out :):cheers:
Or, take the hoods off when you need to carry the lens :p

Fred Canter
01-04-2011, 09:12 AM
Well, just take two photos and find out :):cheers:
Or, take the hoods off when you need to carry the lens :p

Thanks for the insightful idea, should have thought of that myself. :o
Now if I can locate the second hood, I really may test it.
In all seriousness it may help when the light is at certain angles and I really should test it and stop being lazy. I just wondered about it after seeing some photos of people using both in the field and thought maybe I was wrong in my thinking.

Bill Jobes
01-04-2011, 10:39 AM
I've used both hoods 95% of the time, under the presumption that the huge chunk of glass is a 360° light magnet, and that the two-hooded isolation ensures that the sensor sees only what the lens is aimed at, and is not affected by any other light.

I also presume that Nikon engineers formulated it that way for good scientific design reasons. :)

On very rare occasions, mostly on dark cloudy days (with no precipitation), I've only used one hood, with no obviously negative impact on images.

I'd always use at least one hood, for light isolation and lens protection.

CliveTonge
01-04-2011, 01:21 PM
Hi Fred,
I don't own one of the longer lenses. But don't forget the "cool factor", with the second hood on you'll have the longest lens on the beach. :)

Take care,
Clive

Fred Canter
01-04-2011, 10:03 PM
I've used both hoods 95% of the time, under the presumption that the huge chunk of glass is a 360° light magnet, and that the two-hooded isolation ensures that the sensor sees only what the lens is aimed at, and is not affected by any other light.

I also presume that Nikon engineers formulated it that way for good scientific design reasons. :)

On very rare occasions, mostly on dark cloudy days (with no precipitation), I've only used one hood, with no obviously negative impact on images.

I'd always use at least one hood, for light isolation and lens protection.

You make a valid point about stray light. I do always use one but will try two to see if i can distinguish a difference. After thinking about it I wonder if it will help metering of the subject. As far as engineering maybe it's engineered around worst case scenario and makes a big difference in certain light.

Fred Canter
01-04-2011, 10:09 PM
Hi Fred,
I don't own one of the longer lenses. But don't forget the "cool factor", with the second hood on you'll have the longest lens on the beach. :)

Take care,
Clive

Clive,
Yea it's cool, but adding even more length makes me stand out more, which can be a bad thing sometimes. I've already had one instance that I had to use persuasion to keep my gear!

Alan Melle
01-05-2011, 10:18 AM
In the ten years I've used my 600 f/4 I've never once used the second hood. I've never noticed any image degradation that could be attibuted to not using the second hood. Travel is bad enough without having to schlep around an even larger lens hood so I have no intention of starting now.

James Shadle
01-07-2011, 08:38 PM
I rarely use a hood on my Nikon 600 AF-S I.

My back id to the light 95% of the time and it is coated well. Plus the hood blew out of the boat while towing it home one day.:o Images look fine.

Half hood is plenty.

Pedro Serralheiro
01-10-2011, 01:23 PM
I don't know if it was designed to protect. If protection was the first goal I believe a weaker material should be used, because the break failure could happen on the first hood because they are booth from carbon.
On my 600VR I never used the second one, but the opposite is true on my 800mm.