PDA

View Full Version : Barred owl portrait

Cheryl Slechta
01-03-2011, 07:05 PM
This is an image I retrieved from an owl in the woods behind our house in almost total darkness. I painted out the bg leaving the branch he was sitting on, used Nik Silver Efex Overexpose +1 because I wanted him much lighter and blended with screen mode. I then used textures from
here (http://shadowhousecreations.blogspot.com/search/label/Texture%20Set) using luminosity blending mode, then another texture blended with soft light, then a texture from here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/27805557@N08/sets/72157609803359307/) luminosity mode, then Nik color Tonal contrast, then added my own tree and leaf textures, then Topaz adjust Smooth and finally Nik Color Adjust Low key blended in multiply mode. :)
Thanks for looking. Comments and suggestions appreciated.

Cheryl Slechta
01-03-2011, 07:21 PM
Here is the original just for grins:)

denise ippolito
01-03-2011, 07:33 PM
Excellent work Cheryl. I might crop a sliver off the top if it were mine. The details and the effect look great!!:)

Hazel Grant
01-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Can't believe you even attempted to work with such a dark photo. Good for you!!! And the outcome? Great. Like the changes in textures between the owl and the leaf background. Glad you removed the leaves. Makes the owl stand out.

Andrew McLachlan
01-03-2011, 07:38 PM
Very nice work Cheryl! I agree with Denise on taking a smidge off the top. Really like the textures you added.

Julie Kenward
01-03-2011, 07:43 PM
You have GOT to be kidding! I can't believe you got all that from that dark, dark image. You are an OOTB wizard, Cheryl!

I love the diagonal lines and the textures throughout. They blend so well with the owl - really makes for a lovely image.

Christopher Miller
01-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Wow! I don't think I would have even attempted to save such a photo. Excellent work!

Love the colors and texture work. It looks like part of the BG is bleeding into the owl's head which I would fix.

Kerry Perkins
01-03-2011, 10:10 PM
Cheryl, wow - talk about making soup from a stone... Super vision to see the potential in the original and create the end product. You get an OOTB gold star! Wish I had one... :cool:

Gus Hallgren
01-04-2011, 12:03 AM
Cheryl; A marvelous painting. Talk about making a silk purse out of a sow's ear, you're the best, your courage in even attempting this transformation is to be commended. I love every aspect of this absoluterly fabulous painting. a 10+, and then some.

Only one thing missing is your sig.

I love it. Thanks loads for sharing it with us.

Warm hugs

Gus

Cheryl Slechta
01-04-2011, 06:55 AM
Thank you all so much for your comments. It was an adventure doing it and I was pleased with the result. And Gus,
I woke up in the middle of the night last night and realized I hadn't signed it:)

Nancy Bell
01-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Wow. What an incredible vision you have. I agree with all of the above! And I'm a touch envious of your skills:).

Judy Howle
01-04-2011, 11:05 PM
Amazing transformation! I like the colors and the effect on the owl.

Indranil Sircar
01-06-2011, 07:10 AM
This is excellent, Cheryl. I think you have really turned out something from nothing. Beautifully done.

Anita Bower
01-06-2011, 02:49 PM
I thought this was a lovely image before seeing the original. Afterwards, I'm amazed. Good for you!!! Beautiful selection of textures to blend with and accentuate the owl. I agree with Christopher re. the some of the texture bleeding into the head. That is the only thing I'd change. I like the current crop. Thanks for sharing the process and the original. Maybe it will encourage us to try saving some of our not so good images.