PDA

View Full Version : Red-necked Grebe nesting

Aravind Krishnaswamy
01-03-2011, 06:17 PM
I took this in the few moments the parent was up from nesting so that the eggs were clearly visible. The eggs being visible are the most notable thing I like. There's something that I can't quite put my finger on that bothers me about this image (hence its one I didn't bother processing for 7 months). I know the background could be cleaner and the eyes are a little dead (didn't use flash /w beamer), still there's something else I think. Maybe I'm just annoyed at myself for not getting an image during transfer...

Technical: 1D4, 800, f/6.3, 1/400s, ISO 400.
Post: Usual LR adjustments, localized sharpening, background tones were selectively adjusted to be more muted.

Randy Stout
01-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Aravind:

It is interesting why we chose one image over another apparently similar one.

In this case, the bird, nest, exposure , action all look good.

I would certainly reduce the luminance of the background to help the bird pop out from the bright clutter. It looks like there might be the slightest hint of a catchlight, which I believe you might be able to bring up.

I might crop in about half of the free space on the left before you get to the nest material.

It certainly is an interesting enough image that it would be worth the effort for me.

Cheers

Randy

Aravind Krishnaswamy
01-03-2011, 07:49 PM
Thanks Randy. I've already reduced background luminance but will play around some more to see if I can bring it down more. The eyes have already been lifted in post, they were originally much darker.

An interesting suggestion on the free space to the left, I'll try it out, thanks!

Randy Stout
01-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Aravind:

I am hesitant to suggest photoshop work to you, but I tweaked the luminosity here , to try and reduce some of the brightness of the background, and to further define the nest and reduce any scattering of light off the foliage.

I also tried the crop I mentioned, but find it a minor help.

You of course can do a far better job on the raw file, but I really think there is a neat picture in here.

Cheers

Randy

Aravind Krishnaswamy
01-03-2011, 08:02 PM
Thanks Randy. I'll work on it tonight.

Don Hamilton Jr.
01-03-2011, 11:40 PM
Agree, this image has some good details, and tells a story as well. The bkg , and minor tweaks, with some good photoshop skills, makes a world of difference, something i'm working on this year!:)
Don

Aravind Krishnaswamy
01-04-2011, 01:45 AM
Ok, I think I've got this image where I want it now, this is my final version. I managed to brighten up the eyes a little more and push the background down a bit more as well. I figured with all the Photoshop work I might as well clean up a little bit of the foreground water. I also cropped in the left just a smidge.

Stu Bowie
01-04-2011, 09:10 AM
Aravind, between you and Randy, you have nailed the final proof. I like the behaviour from the parent, open beak, and the visible eggs. Well captured.

Chad Caswell
01-04-2011, 10:59 AM
The last one is GREAT!

Pieter de Waal
01-04-2011, 12:31 PM
Great behavioural image Aravind, beautiful light on your subject and exposure well managed to bring out those colours.TFS.