PDA

View Full Version : Summer at the cottage

Rob Mckenzie
01-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Taken early in the morning last summer. It sums up last summer for me. Lounging on cottage docks completely at peace with the world. I am posting the image as the winter is not providing the snow I like to see in Ottawa and I am wishing it away until it sorts itself out!!

1/800sec @ f/2.0
50mm, ISO200, -1ev
Evaluative Metering, No flash
Nikon D300, 50mm 1.4

Dave Mills
01-03-2011, 02:32 PM
Hi Rob, nice conversion and I like the mood the image emits. I played with the positioning and took some off the left and added(using content aware in CS5) some space on the right.
I was mixed on taking a bit off the top. See what others have to say...

Robert Amoruso
01-03-2011, 03:04 PM
Rob,

Nice work conveying an emotion here. I like what Dave did, though I am sure many would prefer the central positioning as that conveys calmness and stillness which is what I take from this image.

However, f/2 was too little DOF. The front of the docks are not sharp and I would want to see them sharp.

Roman Kurywczak
01-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Hey Rob,
The image does portray solitude but have to agree with Robert on the DOF........but not a deal breaker. I would remove just a touch of the whitish area on the top and then proportionally on the left. Just a thought as this will center it more.....but I am OK with it in this case!

Katherine Enns
01-03-2011, 05:28 PM
I dont think this needs anything, actually. I like the fadeout on the top. I like the positioning. Dave is undoubtedly correct to shorten this down to less BG and more subject, but I really like room and quirks in a photograph, and I am probably the LAST person to be giving any advice here, but I would like to add that this has such a nice peaceful feel to it. If you would like some snow, please come and take mine.

Andrew McLachlan
01-03-2011, 07:46 PM
Hi Rob, a very nice conversion. I think I would prefer the front of the dock sharper as Robert mentions. I love calm mornings like this at my family cottage, they are so peaceful.

CliveTonge
01-04-2011, 12:13 AM
Hi Rob,
I quite like this image. I didn't notice the DOF until Roman pointed it out. So it isn't too big a deal for me. But I would like to push the dock up toward the top right corner.
I want to see more water less mist.
I hope you don't mind I was playing. :-)
Like this...
Thank you for sharing,
Take care,
Clive

Jay Sheinfield
01-04-2011, 06:02 AM
Can't ad any more than what already been said, other than I love the feeling of the image.........to me the simple tonal gradation of the BG and stillness of the water just sets the mood...............

Nick Palmieri
01-04-2011, 01:07 PM
Very nice image. Won't add any more comments as it's all been said, but this is sweet. TFS

Rob Mckenzie
01-04-2011, 02:08 PM
Thank you everyone - I really appreciate the comments and the reposts.
I can't decide which repost I like more.
The comments on the DOF are great as I didn't even notice until it was pointed out.
Thank you all.

Jay Gould
01-11-2011, 04:07 AM
I don't mind the OP at all. The light in the upper RHC gives it a sense of almost unlimited distance, and gives further meaning to the direction of the shadow from the float.

It would be an interesting exercise to write a 1000 word story on what the scene brings up for you.

For me, summer camp in the Pocono Mountains. Attended the same camp from age 4 to 12 every summer for two months.

James Yule
02-01-2011, 12:09 AM
Classic image