PDA

View Full Version : The Best of the Best, Sir!

James Shadle
01-03-2011, 11:51 AM
Let's have some fun. No critiques, just "great shot" and "WOW".

Post as a reply to this thread, one of your images that you most enjoyed from 2010.

If you want comment on an image and it is not the next in order, just click "Reply with Quote" on the image you want to comment on.

Mike Tracy
01-03-2011, 01:25 PM
Shouldn't you be the one to get the ball rolling :) ?

Robert Amoruso
01-03-2011, 01:25 PM
One of my favorites this year from my workshop at Lake Clark National Park in Alaska.

Silver Salmon Creek Lodge, AK 2010

Myer Bornstein
01-03-2011, 01:58 PM
One of my favorites was this photo of my first Albatross taken of a 3 day pelagic trip from San Diego

Don Lacy
01-03-2011, 02:15 PM
Last year was a good year for me so it was hard to pick my favorite but I am most proud of this image since it turn out exactly as I had pre visualized it before I got to the colony

Mike Tracy
01-03-2011, 03:11 PM
Literally a point and shoot shot as my mask kept filling with water. I have always wanted to dive with these gentle giants and cant wait till next time to do better.

James Shadle
01-03-2011, 04:01 PM
Shouldn't you be the one to get the ball rolling :) ?

As soon as I can get to my desktop computer:).

James Shadle
01-03-2011, 11:19 PM
This is not my "best" image of 2010, however it is my favorite image.
This is the image as I envisioned it. It's my most satisfying image because of how difficult it was to create and how close it is to my photographic vision.

Full frame other than small crop for composition.

Roman Kurywczak
01-04-2011, 11:04 AM
This is not my "best" image of 2010, however it is my favorite image.
This is the image as I envisioned it. It's my most satisfying image because of how difficult it was to create and how close it is to my photographic vision.

Full frame other than small crop for composition.

Do I remember correctly when you took this?:D Must have been the company! Now you have given me some ammo for March!

Joel Eade
01-04-2011, 06:24 PM
This is my most memorable image of 2010 ... it marks my trip from Kentucky to Florida when my youngest daughter moved away from home and it is one of the first images I made on my very first "workshop" ... a private day with Capt. James Shadle aboard the Hooptie Deux .... as i have written before .... I learned a ton, enjoyed it tremendously and I consider it time and money well spent.

James Shadle
01-04-2011, 07:17 PM
Do I remember correctly when you took this?:D Must have been the company! Now you have given me some ammo for March!

Yes. Now you know that I wasn't just wallowing in the mud.

James Shadle
01-04-2011, 07:19 PM
This is my most memorable image of 2010 ... it marks my trip from Kentucky to Florida when my youngest daughter moved away from home and it is one of the first images I made on my very first "workshop" ... a private day with Capt. James Shadle aboard the Hooptie Deux .... as i have written before .... I learned a ton, enjoyed it tremendously and I consider it time and money well spent.

Not a bad way to mark a trip!
It was my pleasure working with you.

Danny J Brown
01-04-2011, 07:27 PM
One of my favorites this year from my workshop at Lake Clark National Park in Alaska.

That is one of the most beautifully sharp images I've ever seen. Super.

DB

Danny J Brown
01-04-2011, 07:44 PM
Wow...Can we do this more often? Just kidding. This image was voted "Favorite of the Year." by the people on my Nature Frames list serve that I send out every Sunday afternoon. It will be featured in an upcoming issue of Missouri Conservationist along with a story about how I got the shot in the flooded Missouri River corridor. Shot in super low light. I posted it in Avian last spring. Take care.

Roman Kurywczak
01-04-2011, 08:02 PM
OK.....the landscape mod has to join Mike and break up the bird fest:p!!! This was a great year for me photo wise. Everything from Tanzania and then Spoonies with James on the Hooptie.....to some of my favorite landscape places of Arches and Yellowstone. Having been to these iconic places more than a few times:2eyes2:.....I tried to push myself and my knowledge and try new things when photogrpahing them. This image signifies the lessons learned over the many years of night photography.....exploring some new avenues and constantly refining as I went. This image from my Zion/Bryce tour is the culmination of all those years and lessons. This is why it means the most to me this year!

Robert Amoruso
01-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Roman,

I was first with an image and I posted a bear on purpose.:p

Roman Kurywczak
01-04-2011, 11:15 PM
Roman,

I was first with an image and I posted a bear on purpose.:p

How the heck did I miss that great image!!!:o:o:o I'd better double check next time!!!

James Shadle
01-04-2011, 11:30 PM
OK.....the landscape mod has to join Mike and break up the bird fest:p!!! This was a great year for me photo wise. Everything from Tanzania and then Spoonies with James on the Hooptie.....to some of my favorite landscape places of Arches and Yellowstone. Having been to these iconic places more than a few times:2eyes2:.....I tried to push myself and my knowledge and try new things when photogrpahing them. This image signifies the lessons learned over the many years of night photography.....exploring some new avenues and constantly refining as I went. This image from my Zion/Bryce tour is the culmination of all those years and lessons. This is why it means the most to me this year!

"Great Shot" - I have always wanted to say that (not really).

Sid Garige
01-05-2011, 12:04 AM
For me when this guy stood up on his hind legs in golden light. I will remember that moment for rest of my life.

James Shadle
01-05-2011, 12:26 AM
Sid,
That is one buttery bear. Sweet!:cheers:

Morkel Erasmus
01-05-2011, 03:59 AM
some GREAT SHOTS posted already ;)

I especially like your bear Sid and it has stood out for me in the Wildlife forum as well.

I recently posted my "Top 10 of 2010" photos on my blog and couldn't choose a favourite then, and even now I probably will choose a different "favourite" today than I would tomorrow...
(check it out here: http://saffascapes.blogspot.com/2010/12/my-top-10-for-2010.html)

but here goes!

I have a thing for simplistic compositions that tell a story, have strong adherence to the ROT or Golden Mean and depict a single subject in a dramatic environment. Of my chosen Top10 there are 2 specific ones that satisfy this set of criteria.

The lone tree against the dramatic backdrop posted as #2 on the blog, and this one...
(what is it with me and animals on ridges with clouds behind them? ;) :2eyes2:)

This was a special sighting in a year in which I had a lot of great sightings of cheetah. We spent a quiet morning with a mother and her 2 juvenile male cubs as they were soaking up the Kalahari sun on a calcrete ridge. The one cub was lying quite some distance away from his mom and brother, and I waited for the precise moment in which he chose to get up and walk across the ridge to join them. There were some potential prey in the riverbed below, and so naturally to try and avoid being conspicuous, he kind-of "stalked" across the ridge.

Arthur Morris
01-05-2011, 06:50 AM
Sid, Where?

Steve Kaluski
01-05-2011, 07:56 AM
Having been privileged to photograph some fantastic and awesome animals over the past few years, photographing these guys was a real treat, especially to be within feet of a male Grizzly in excess of 1000ibs certainly raised the heart rate!!! But for me, it was the pure acceleration and power that was so explosive, eat your heart out Cheetahs. :D

Steve

Roman Kurywczak
01-05-2011, 10:55 AM

I love Gizzlies......and this one is just fantastic because of the grass in the mouth and killer BG!!!

Roman Kurywczak
01-05-2011, 10:57 AM
Last year was a good year for me so it was hard to pick my favorite but I am most proud of this image since it turn out exactly as I had pre visualized it before I got to the colony

I don't think people realize how tough it is to get a great feeding shot this clean!!! Sweeeeet!

Roman Kurywczak
01-05-2011, 10:58 AM
Literally a point and shoot shot as my mask kept filling with water. I have always wanted to dive with these gentle giants and cant wait till next time to do better.
Way cool Mike!!! Must have been an awesome thrill and you sure did the image justice!

Roman Kurywczak
01-05-2011, 10:59 AM
Glad to see you had as much fun with James as I always do Joel!!! Quite a memorable image!

Roman Kurywczak
01-05-2011, 11:00 AM
One of my favorites was this photo of my first Albatross taken of a 3 day pelagic trip from San Diego
Great job Myer! Must have been an awesome trip!

Roman Kurywczak
01-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Wow...Can we do this more often? Just kidding. This image was voted "Favorite of the Year." by the people on my Nature Frames list serve that I send out every Sunday afternoon. It will be featured in an upcoming issue of Missouri Conservationist along with a story about how I got the shot in the flooded Missouri River corridor. Shot in super low light. I posted it in Avian last spring. Take care.
Whoa!!! 3 great HA's!!!! Not the easiest thing to do!!! Congrats on the feature too!!!

Roman Kurywczak
01-05-2011, 11:03 AM
some GREAT SHOTS posted already ;)

I especially like your bear Sid and it has stood out for me in the Wildlife forum as well.

I recently posted my "Top 10 of 2010" photos on my blog and couldn't choose a favourite then, and even now I probably will choose a different "favourite" today than I would tomorrow...
(check it out here: http://saffascapes.blogspot.com/2010/12/my-top-10-for-2010.html)

but here goes!

I have a thing for simplistic compositions that tell a story, have strong adherence to the ROT or Golden Mean and depict a single subject in a dramatic environment. Of my chosen Top10 there are 2 specific ones that satisfy this set of criteria.

The lone tree against the dramatic backdrop posted as #2 on the blog, and this one...
(what is it with me and animals on ridges with clouds behind them? ;) :2eyes2:)

This was a special sighting in a year in which I had a lot of great sightings of cheetah. We spent a quiet morning with a mother and her 2 juvenile male cubs as they were soaking up the Kalahari sun on a calcrete ridge. The one cub was lying quite some distance away from his mom and brother, and I waited for the precise moment in which he chose to get up and walk across the ridge to join them. There were some potential prey in the riverbed below, and so naturally to try and avoid being conspicuous, he kind-of "stalked" across the ridge.

Was a great year for you Morkel and this one's drama may be my favorite!

Roman Kurywczak
01-05-2011, 11:05 AM
For me when this guy stood up on his hind legs in golden light. I will remember that moment for rest of my life.
Just freakin' awesome Sid!!!! Killer all around!!!

Roman Kurywczak
01-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Having been privileged to photograph some fantastic and awesome animals over the past few years, photographing these guys was a real treat, especially to be within feet of a male Grizzly in excess of 1000ibs certainly raised the heart rate!!! But for me, it was the pure acceleration and power that was so explosive, eat your heart out Cheetahs. :D

Steve
I agree Steve!!! Having stood there more than a few times myself.....you did a great job of conveying that power!!!

Daniel Cadieux
01-05-2011, 11:15 AM
Great stuff gang!! A very inspiring thread this is turning out to be (I never had any doubts!)...:cheers:

Steve Kaluski
01-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Hi Roman, lying belly down in fish remains and what seemed to be rather smelly black mud with as I said, a 1000lbs+ male walking towards you and you can here him sniffing and snorting whilst walking towards you realising that a 16-35 may NOT be wide enough was something you cannot capture for adrenalin rush, will post it soon as I would welcome your thoughts, likewise anyone else. :)

Great to see the standard, variety of media and diversity of images posted and look forward to seeing more and share what I have missed, good idea James. :cheers:

Roman Kurywczak
01-05-2011, 11:24 AM
Hi Roman, lying belly down in fish remains and what seemed to be rather smelly black mud with as I said, a 1000lbs+ male walking towards you and you can here him sniffing and snorting whilst walking towards you realising that a 16-35 may NOT be wide enough was something you cannot capture for adrenalin rush, will post it soon as I would welcome your thoughts, likewise anyone else. :)

Great to see the standard, variety of media and diversity of images posted and look forward to seeing more and share what I have missed, good idea James. :cheers:
I know what you mean!!!.....but the 16-35???......I didn't even bring mine!!! I had a female chase a sub adult within 3 feet of me....needless to say.....I'm glad neither broke stride!

James Shadle
01-05-2011, 11:25 AM
So far BirdPhotographers.Net's "Best of the Best, Sir" thread has:
5 mammal, 2 landscape and only 4 bird images!:p It ain't just birds:).

Roman Kurywczak
01-05-2011, 11:29 AM
So far BirdPhotographers.Net's "Best of the Best, Sir" thread has:
5 mammal, 2 landscape and only 4 bird images!:p It ain't just birds:).
I think the Avian crowd is asleep:p.......or perhaps they don't realize there are other forums:2eyes2:! They don't scroll down often:D!!!

Sid Garige
01-05-2011, 11:41 AM
Sid, Where?
Kaktovik, Alaska Sir.
Here is a gallery on my website
http://luminepixels.com/kaktovik.html

Sid Garige
01-05-2011, 11:42 AM

Steve

Awesome Steve.

denise ippolito
01-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Here is a link to the OOTB forums Most Memorable Images for 2010 (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?76811):)

Todd Frost
01-05-2011, 12:15 PM
This has been a good year for me as well. Spending time with this female wolf, listening to the howls and making some fine images of her is something I wil not forget.

Todd

Arthur Morris
01-05-2011, 01:48 PM
Steve, I am a bit curious as the the "1000 pound grizzly." My first questions are where and when?

Steve Kaluski
01-05-2011, 02:11 PM
Hi Artie, it was in Katmai, in September and the comment was based on the Bear guide and his observation and description at the time. With nothing to gauge it on, I'm just repeating his assumption, but when the bear wondered across to within feet of us, he did seem rather 'large' to say the least :)

Sorry I can't be of any more help as this was my first encounter with Grizzlies, but would eagerly spend more time with these fascinating animals, but they seem slightly dwarfed IMHO, compared to Polar Bears.

BTW I think we might have been there at the same time.

cheers
Steve

Arthur Morris
01-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Thanks Steve, Was Chuck your guide? (I do not think that there are any/many 1000 pound bears in Katmai.... I will check. And yes, they all look big from a few feet away.

Blake Shadle
01-05-2011, 02:28 PM
Better late than never (I hope) :D

Sorry, I don't have any of the technicals at the moment. I know my dad and the Hooptie Deux were involved :)

Steve Kaluski
01-05-2011, 02:35 PM
And yes, they all look big from a few feet away.

Yep :D No it wasn't Chuck, it was a guy called Brad if that helps?

cheers
Steve

Arthur Morris
01-05-2011, 03:13 PM
Thanks. I am guessing that he was exaggerating some... I will check with Chuck.

Arthur Morris
01-05-2011, 03:28 PM
Lots of great stuff as expected. This is my favorite. Now, this is no BS: I had trouble finding one bird image from 2010 that I really love....

Ákos Lumnitzer
01-05-2011, 04:00 PM
One of my faves for sure. This is Henry for those who missed it and I just found out three days ago that my suspicion was right about his lady having gone. A keen bird watcher lady who lives about a mile from where Henry and his mate were nesting found a dead Kestrel on the side of the road around October. :(
However, Henry still managed to fledge two young! This is 80% of full frame and the light was very, very warm this particular morning.

30D, 300/4L + 1.4x, ISO800, f/9, 1/500th, +1 1/3EC, tripod

Clemens Vanderwerf
01-05-2011, 08:45 PM
This is one of my favorites. In 2010 I got hooked on birds and gained a tremendous amount of knowledge. The stakes are high for this year. Let's see what 2011 brings!

Daniel Cadieux
01-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Although I wish for a BG more interesting than blue sky (at least there is a slight gradiant!!), this is my favorite of 2010.

Sid Garige
01-05-2011, 09:05 PM
One of my faves for sure. This is Henry for those who missed it and I just found out three days ago that my suspicion was right about his lady having gone. A keen bird watcher lady who lives about a mile from where Henry and his mate were nesting found a dead Kestrel on the side of the road around October. :(
However, Henry still managed to fledge two young! This is 80% of full frame and the light was very, very warm this particular morning.

30D, 300/4L + 1.4x, ISO800, f/9, 1/500th, +1 1/3EC, tripod

I remember your series Akos. Good to see him again.

Sid Garige
01-05-2011, 09:07 PM
This is one of my favorites. In 2010 I got hooked on birds and gained a tremendous amount of knowledge. The stakes are high for this year. Let's see what 2011 brings!

Thats one awesome spoonbill image Clemens. Great job. Good luck in 2011.

Myer Bornstein
01-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Great job Myer! Must have been an awesome trip!

Yes it was and I am headed out the end of the month with the same boat for a 12 day trip down the BAJA following the birds and the whales. The Boat is the Searcher out of San Diego

Eric Virkler
01-05-2011, 10:26 PM
As hard as it was to choose a favorite from my shots this past year, it would be even harder to choose a favorite from all those posted (and soon to be posted) in this thread.

Barred Owlet
shot taken while precariously perched 15 feet off the ground with nowhere to steady my arms

Canon 50D, 400mm, 1.4 TC, 1/25s, f/8, ISO 400, cropped in

Harshad Barve
01-05-2011, 10:43 PM
OK.....the landscape mod has to join Mike and break up the bird fest:p!

Roman , this is simply stunner

Harshad Barve
01-05-2011, 10:44 PM
Sid,
That is one buttery bear. Sweet!:cheers:

Plus one here Sid , :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Harshad Barve
01-05-2011, 10:47 PM

Steve

Super shot Steve :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Harshad Barve
01-05-2011, 10:49 PM
This has been a good year for me as well. Spending time with this female wolf, listening to the howls and making some fine images of her is something I wil not forget.

Todd

Todd , You know how much I liked this :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Harshad Barve
01-05-2011, 10:54 PM
I guess I will have to have far better luck to get sweeter cubs than this

subhrashis
01-06-2011, 12:50 AM
Just spellbound! Spent about half an hour staring at the images. :cheers:

I don't know if I can dare to put one in here... but it was really a special experience to see this kid grow up right outside my parents bedroom window...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4029/4569967739_da13836fa1_z.jpg

Robert Amoruso
01-06-2011, 07:42 AM
Lots of great images so far; and some good story telling too. Thanks to all the contributors.

As many of you know I live near Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge so photograph there a lot. Around the holidays each year I spend a good deal of time there and usually come away with some excellent images. This one created 12-16-10 is one of those I consider my MINWR Christmas gifts. Nicely posed Lesser Yellowlegs in some fantastic looking water and mangrove reflections. I chose the wider look and did not tight crop since I like the FG/BG look so much.

Another favorite from 2010.

Mike Tracy
01-06-2011, 08:46 AM
Great shots everyone and I like the accompanying stories.

Some of my all time favorites are short of technically perfect but I have captured that moment in time that documents some of the wonderful experiences I have witnessed in nature.

Arthur Morris
01-06-2011, 10:03 AM
Having been privileged to photograph some fantastic and awesome animals over the past few years, photographing these guys was a real treat, especially to be within feet of a male Grizzly in excess of 1000ibs certainly raised the heart rate!!! But for me, it was the pure acceleration and power that was so explosive, eat your heart out Cheetahs. :D Steve

The final word from Chuck, who knows all of Katmai's bears by first name and has for 27 years:

"Artie--- Yes I looked at image--- I am sure it is one of the bears in Geo that was there when we were --- good looking bear - but no 1000lber" --Chuck

Stu Bowie
01-06-2011, 11:38 AM
I think the Avian crowd is asleep:p.......or perhaps they don't realize there are other forums:2eyes2:! They don't scroll down often:D!!!

Hey Roman, this avian crowd is wide awake:) Here is my favourite of the year. This image includes nature ( hippo's) Avian ( birds perched ) and landscape. Do I win first prize:)

Kaustubh Deshpande
01-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Certainly not the best but definitely satisfying and a huge favorite because it was hard to do in the windy conditions. The bird was swaying in and out of the frame. Had to deal with a lot of noise in post processing too.85894

Randy Stout
01-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Well, this is a fun thread! I think it is particularly interesting to see favorites, vs. just the best image from each photographer. There is a definite distinction.

There are a few times when everything comes together, both as a photograph and experience. For this image, I had been floating around with a pair of juvi loons for several hours, and they had pretty much started ignoring me. The light was fading fast, and I had added my flash with better beamer to try and keep working for a bit longer. This particular loon had had a running feud with a damsel fly which kept landing on him. Bill, back, head. The loon wasn't too pleased with this, and kept snapping at him. As the light faded, I had a magical 10 minutes with him and the action.

I have technically better shots from 2010, but none that I like more!

Lets keep it rolling.

Kaustubh Deshpande
01-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Well, this is a fun thread! I think it is particularly interesting to see favorites, vs. just the best image from each photographer. There is a definite distinction.

There are a few times when everything comes together, both as a photograph and experience. For this image, I had been floating around with a pair of juvi loons for several hours, and they had pretty much started ignoring me. The light was fading fast, and I had added my flash with better beamer to try and keep working for a bit longer. This particular loon had had a running feud with a damsel fly which kept landing on him. Bill, back, head. The loon wasn't too pleased with this, and kept snapping at him. As the light faded, I had a magical 10 minutes with him and the action.

I have technically better shots from 2010, but none that I like more!

Lets keep it rolling.

This one's quite stunning Randy.

Roman Kurywczak
01-06-2011, 07:27 PM
The final word from Chuck, who knows all of Katmai's bears by first name and has for 27 years:

"Artie--- Yes I looked at image--- I am sure it is one of the bears in Geo that was there when we were --- good looking bear - but no 1000lber" --Chuck

Hey Steve,
No worries......I have to agree with Chuck and Artie......looks like only a 995lb bear!!!:2eyes2::(:(:(

Arthur Morris
01-06-2011, 07:42 PM
I was thinking that it looked more like 924 pounds :)

Kirk Adams
01-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Hey Steve,
No worries......I have to agree with Chuck and Artie......looks like only a 995lb bear!!!:2eyes2::(:(:(

But that 994.99 LB grizzly of Steve's can still eat/devour that lean Cheetah...Eh? :D

But, then, there are those mythical Silverback male Gorilla-Cheetahs in the forests of Congo that can easily eat that 994.99 LB grizzly from AK too. Even Steven !

Awesome images, everyone.

Steve Kaluski
01-07-2011, 02:04 AM
LOL, Artie, Roman. :D:D:D:D

Morkel Erasmus
01-07-2011, 06:44 AM
But that 994.99 LB grizzly of Steve's can still eat/devour that lean Cheetah...Eh? :D

But, then, there are those mythical Silverback male Gorilla-Cheetahs in the forests of Congo that can easily eat that 994.99 LB grizzly from AK too. Even Steven !

funny bones, eh Kirk! let them play fair...

the bear can devour the cheetah if he can catch him in a sprint from standing start :2eyes2:

great images everyone and great fun...have to agree Steve, looks like a 995lbs bear haha :D

Stu - your image takes the cake...I dare anyone to post such a conglomorate of subjects in one image that is not "shopped" :cheers:

Giovanni Frescura
01-07-2011, 05:39 PM
It was a shoot made in the silent of the lake...

Luca Zappa
01-09-2011, 07:04 PM
This is my best 2010 shot. Taken during a wonderful workshop with Capt James. Be ready , I'll be back shortly :)

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/9532/ai9d92781150574015o.jpg

Steve Zamek
01-10-2011, 07:05 PM
This is a great thread.
I'll contribute my luckiest shot of the year ...
A Yellow-rumped Warbler that had just leapt to grab an insect.

Arthur Morris
01-10-2011, 07:48 PM
Killer image but the stick was killing me. Plus a slight crop from the back. Would have done more but for the signature.

SH superb. How did you focus (or did you)???

Steve Zamek
01-10-2011, 10:42 PM
Killer image but the stick was killing me. Plus a slight crop from the back. Would have done more but for the signature.

SH superb. How did you focus (or did you)???

Thanks Artie.

I do like it much better without the stick. I generally would have removed it, but this is one part of a two-photo sequence, where the bird is perched on that stick (reaching for a flying insect), so I decided to leave it the second photo as well. But as a standalone photo, your version is certainly superior. The prequel is here: http://www.featherlightphoto.com/birds/e30380e1b

As for you question regarding focus ... I had focused on the perched bird, and it flew into the field of focus for me. As I said, it was my luckiest photo of the year. :)

peter delaney
01-11-2011, 02:53 AM
The highlight of my photographic year was Namiba.. 2 weeks of camping with two friends and capturing some wonderful images, one of which I will share now ....

For years I have been trying to capture an "iconic" image of an elephant ... I marveled at Nick Brandts on the cover of his first book.. "on this earth.."

this is my version

Matthew Pimm
01-12-2011, 03:21 AM
Just a beginner but I thought this photo of a Eurasian Tree Sparrow I took in a city park in Hong Kong when I was there on a business trip turned out really well. Had my wife buy me AM's Art of Bird Photography and ABP II for Christmas after this encouraging start! Looking forward to learning more in 2011...

Matthew

Arthur Morris
01-12-2011, 06:23 AM
Thanks for the plug Matthew, and thank your wife for the purchase :)

This is quite loverly; sharp and a great pose. I'd take a strip off the top and lighten the mid-tones.

On a second look pointing the lens down a bit would have eliminated the strip at the top and possibly allowed you to include the whole flower.....

RakeshDhareshwar
01-12-2011, 07:44 AM
Quite a few amazing trips , I had in 2010 , but one of my favourite images has to be this mixed flock of sandpipers . They reminded me of the rush hour in our Mumbai trains .

Arthur Morris
01-12-2011, 07:50 AM
I love it but my standard advice for images like this is "Always focus on the front row." I think that doing that would have improved this one.... Is this correct: mostly Red Knots with plenty of Curlew Sandpipers and a plover that I am not familiar with?

What other species?

James Shadle
01-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Just a reminder -
Let's have some fun. No critiques, just "great shot" and "WOW".

Arthur Morris
01-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Me bad. But I cannot help wanting to help folks improve. And in my own defense, I do not believe that I was the first :2eyes2:

heathergreen
01-15-2011, 01:40 PM
I loved this moment :)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1272/4662246550_c0d778c9b0_b.jpg

Marina Scarr
01-17-2011, 09:36 AM
Although this photo was posted a few months back, it is my favorite of 2010 (esp since I corrected the color cast.) It was amazing to have had the privilege to witness and capture such an intimate moment.

Thank you to all those at BPN who have reviewed and critiqued my photos and helped me become a better photographer.

May our captures and experiences in the field in 2011 bring us much joy as those of 2010!

Marina

George Cottay
01-17-2011, 09:24 PM
I loved this moment :)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1272/4662246550_c0d778c9b0_b.jpg

Wow, outstanding.

I think it would be well worth the labor to remove the face blocking stems.

Kaustubh Deshpande
01-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Although this photo was posted a few months back, it is my favorite of 2010 (esp since I corrected the color cast.) It was amazing to have had the privilege to witness and capture such an intimate moment.

Thank you to all those at BPN who have reviewed and critiqued my photos and helped me become a better photographer.

May our captures and experiences in the field in 2011 bring us much joy as those of 2010!

Marina

Marina, thats one heck of a shot. I saw it also in the top-100 on the Audubon contest link. Congrats.

http://audubonmagazine.org/features1101/photoawards-top100.html

Marina Scarr
01-19-2011, 09:57 PM
Marina, thats one heck of a shot. I saw it also in the top-100 on the Audubon contest link. Congrats.

Thank you very much Kaustubh. I was lucky just to have witnessed these SHC with their young.

Ákos Lumnitzer
01-19-2011, 10:52 PM
Hi Marina
Congrats, big congrats on the Audubon top 100 selection. The image of the crane and its chick is one of the most memorable images I have ever seen on any forum. Period. Big kudos to you and keep up the great work. :)

LeeFortier
01-20-2011, 06:48 PM
My first post here. Had difficulty reducing the image to fit forum criteria. Hope to improve as time goes by.

This is one of my favorites from the past year. It won the statewide 2010 Grand Prize in the Massachusetts Audubon "Picture This" My Connection to Nature Photo Contest.
It was a real surprise to me.
This was shot through my double pane front window during a snowstorm. The Robins return daily to dine on ornamental pears until the tree is tripped bare. Then you won't see them again till Spring.

Hope you enjoy it. Any critique is always welcome.

Lee
www.leefortier.com

LeeFortier
01-20-2011, 07:01 PM
This is a great thread.
I'll contribute my luckiest shot of the year ...
A Yellow-rumped Warbler that had just leapt to grab an insect.
With or without the stick, this is just a great image.
Thanks for sharing.

Morkel Erasmus
01-21-2011, 07:17 AM
some more amazing posts here...I especially liked the double heron shot, Luca, and of course Peter's Etosha Ghost elephant :)

Bill Jobes
01-22-2011, 01:34 AM
OK, I'll play ! :)

While photographing barn swallows one June evening in Bucks County, Pennsylvania,, a young foxy lady came by and visited. After scoping me out for a minute or so, she sauntered away, sat down, and scanned the fields, presumably for prey.

Here she is in those golden moments before sunset.

Chris Kotze
01-23-2011, 09:20 AM
Some awesome images, great stuff. Defiantly one of my favourites for 2010 I made last year in the Kruger National park.

Reza Gorji
01-23-2011, 09:24 AM
So many great pictures I am reluctant to post anything. But here we go a moment that I will not forget for a long time was when on a clear crisp chilly morning I saw a speck of white objects materialize in the horizon approaching my position slowly and turn to be a few American White Pelicans.

James Fuller
01-24-2011, 07:07 PM

Sweet Light!

Van Hilliard
01-27-2011, 12:11 PM
Although I wish for a BG more interesting than blue sky (at least there is a slight gradiant!!), this is my favorite of 2010.

Daniel,
I really like it and I wouldn't change that blue sky. It isolates the bird beautifully and really allows those gradients in the whites to glow.

Hilary Hann
01-30-2011, 12:57 AM
All I can say is FANTASTIC images. WOW!!!:bg3: