PDA

View Full Version : Fog at the Bog.

Daniel Cadieux
01-03-2011, 10:29 AM
Anytime fog presents itself it gets my creative juices flowing and I just want to head out for some landscape photography. It was foggy pretty much all day on Saturday, and I had a hunch it would be quite beautiful at the Mer Bleue Bog so I headed out there. Well, the scene was just that...and the recent warm spell that we got melted most of the snow away - making the autumnal reddish carpet of wild blueberry bushes re-appear. Very unusual for this time of year, but great for photography!

Canon 40D + Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 lens at 38mm, manual exposure, evaluative metering, 1/80s., f/9, ISO 800, handheld, full-frame with some canvas cropped off the top.

Rob Mckenzie
01-03-2011, 01:23 PM
Great composition Daniel. I was just at Mer Bleue cross-country skiing last Tuesday. Such a transformation in four days!!
I love the layering effect that the fog creates. It helps create wonderful depth.

Dave Mills
01-03-2011, 02:40 PM
Hi Dan, Nice mood generated by the fog and agree with Rob about the subtle layering adding to the image. The reddish base is a plus and adds interest. I like the way you took the time to put together a balanced composition due to the positioning of the trees. Here is a case where I'm pondering removing a bit of the blank sky. I tried it and I don't feel it takes away from the mood. My opinion...curious to hear others...

Robert Amoruso
01-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Fog and overcast can really saturate colors as it did in the FG here.

I agree with Dave here because the top of the image is very very bright. Cropping down will enhance the mood by not having an overly bright sky. I normally favor a wide sky look however, just not here.

Roman Kurywczak
01-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Hey Daniel,
Great colors and mood in this one! Nice to see you thinking landscape!!! I can see why Dave wants the sky crop......but I feel it balances the rest very well! Great job overall!

Andrew McLachlan
01-03-2011, 04:24 PM
Hi Daniel, I like the way you placed the trees within this foggy scene. I like this one as is, but wonder if the foggy sky is a tad bright. We had pouring rain all day on Saturday and most of our snow is now gone too. Hope we get more soon!

Katherine Enns
01-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Beautiful, Daniel.

Morkel Erasmus
01-04-2011, 04:04 AM
I like the compo as is Daniel and love the colour contrasts and misty mood here...

Daniel Cadieux
01-09-2011, 11:01 AM
Hey, thanks all! The version I posted already had a good chunk of sky cropped out down to about my comfort level for this image, but yes I could see it as an even thinner pano.