PDA

View Full Version : A River Runs Through It

Julie Kenward
01-02-2011, 09:26 PM
I went back to the fountain today. Much of the ice had melted with our 2 days of warmer temps but there were still some nice formations to photograph. I used my 400mm this time instead of the 70-200 so I could stand back from the blowing water spray and still get some close-up images.

Canon 40D, EF 400mm f/4L
f22 @ 1/160th, ISO 200
Manual mode, pattern metering, handheld, fill flash
ACR/CS5, Topaz Infocus for sharpening

Andrew McLachlan
01-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Hi Julie, very cool ice formations. Love that blue. Nice work!

Roman Kurywczak
01-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Whoa Jules!!!! Those bubbles are very cool!!! Bring the macro and umbrella next time......they are some great colors and the bubbles are wicked!!! I think this one should be a re-visit every day!

Julie Kenward
01-03-2011, 07:18 PM
Roman, I'm debating if I should take some off the top and go more "pano" crop on this one. What do you all think?

Steve Maxson
01-03-2011, 10:31 PM
Hi Jules. Looks like you're having lots of fun with ice! The shapes in the ice are very cool and the deep blue is striking. The comp works as presented, but I think your idea for a pano crop would be a very nice alternative. :)

Dave Leroy
01-03-2011, 11:18 PM
Neat looking photo Jules. I am impressed with the dof with that lens.

It would be interesting to see the crop as well.

Dave

Mike Fuhr
01-03-2011, 11:22 PM
Roman, I'm debating if I should take some off the top and go more "pano" crop on this one. What do you all think?

I was thinking the same thing -- I really like this image but I think the URC really doesn't add anything, so why not remove it and focus the attention on that blue line and the other bubbles that are in focus?:)

Julie Kenward
01-04-2011, 02:02 AM
Here's the pano crop. Roman, I can't get in with the macro lens (much as I'd like to) until late in the winter. The fountain is continuously running and it's blowing spray all over the place until it freezes so high that the water is then turned off. Maybe later in winter I can get that close...

Ken Childs
01-04-2011, 07:36 AM
Jules, you're getting some great shots out of that fountain! That blue area looks as if it were made out of glass. IMHO, the pano crop is definitely the way to go!

You need to explain to the powers that be that they need to turn off the fountain whenever you ask them to. They can always turn it back on when you're done. :D

kostas nianiopoulos
01-04-2011, 09:48 AM
well done Julie , i hope u will make a large print of this image , just lovley :)

Anita Bower
01-05-2011, 05:27 AM
Frozen bubbles! What a concept. I like both crops, hard to choose between them. Great job with the whites.