PDA

View Full Version : Ruby Crowned Kinglet

Todd Frost
01-02-2011, 12:28 AM
Don't make it over here all that often but I thought I would wish everyone a Happy New Year! Image made at Nisqually NWR. I appologize for the artifacts in the bg, they are not there in my jpg for my website nor in the tiff. I assume the 200k limit causing the issue.
D300, 400 2.8 w/1.4tc, f4.5, 1/800, iso400, man exp.
Thanks for looking, comments and critiques appreciated.
Todd

Stu Bowie
01-02-2011, 03:23 AM
Tiny little guy Todd, and I like the symmetrical wingspread. Happy new year to you too.

Arthur Morris
01-02-2011, 08:45 AM
Hey Todd, Wicked pose. How did you focus???

I lightened and sharpened the head and back and ran a Linear Burn on the lightest parts of the perch.

I will assume that you could have eliminated the two extra stalks if you had wanted to....

noelle zaleski
01-02-2011, 08:49 AM
Sure is a cute little bird Todd. I like the back lit wings and the angle.

Doug Brown
01-02-2011, 09:49 AM
Ruby-Crowned Kinglets are really quick and don't like to sit still for very long. I like the pose you captured here. Artie's repost definitely improves the image.

Randy Stout
01-02-2011, 10:07 AM
Todd:

Interesting little bird, nice full wing spread pose, head angle. I do like Artie's repost.

The eye looks a bit odd. If there was even a hint of a natural catchlight in the original, I would try to bring that up a bit.

The BG color works really well here with the stalks and bird.

Cheers

Randy

Pieter de Waal
01-02-2011, 11:56 AM
Hi Todd , I like the composition and lighting of this image. A new species for me and that ruby spot is amazing. TFS.

Todd Frost
01-02-2011, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone.
Artie,
re: focus, just good ole nikon af (9 points) kept following the little guy and alot of LUCK to get it at acceptable sharpness.
Yes the other stalks could have been removed, at this time I kinda like them there.
Repost looks good, as he was back/sidelit I did not want to bring up the head to much but will give it a go on the big file.

Thanks again.
Todd

Bill Dix
01-02-2011, 02:20 PM
Very nice one, Todd. It's always nice to catch a glimpse of his ruby crown. Sharper repost helps.

Arthur Morris
01-03-2011, 06:18 AM
YAW Todd. I may have over-lighted the head a tad, and I drew over the line a bit on the top from of the head and inadvertently lighted a halo of BKGR there. But re-doing this with the TIFF is a good plan :)