PDA

View Full Version : Namib Dune

Lorant Voros
01-01-2011, 09:35 PM
Happy 2011 everyone.

I played a bit with a B&W conversion on a photo from the Namib desert. Let me know what you think.

7D
17-40mm
ISO200
f:22
1/50
tripod
B&W conversion with NIK Silver Efex Pro

Dave Mills
01-02-2011, 10:01 AM
Hi Lorant, I like how you handled this relatively simple comp. Nice placement of the dune line in the lower rt bringing the eye to the peak. The sky is minimized well since it is blank.
Apparantly the wind was blowing fairly strongly due to the sand blowing on the top and the streaking,blurred lines on the left. At 1/50 it would not be enough speed to freeze the movement but in this case I like the flow and tonal variations which I feel adds interest.

Robert Amoruso
01-03-2011, 08:56 AM
Lorant,

I love this image and B&W was a great way to go. The blowing sand at the peak - perfect.

If there is any detail in the RAW file on the right side sand due bank towards the top that just isn't showing here, give that area some additional tonal separation to bring it out.

On the right where the dune slant's down towards the frame edge, a small dune can be seen in the BG. I would crop that out so it is not seen (cloning that out is also an option).

Roman Kurywczak
01-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Hey Lorant,
Great suggestions given above already on cleaning this up.....but overall, I think this was a nice strong B&W conversion!! I love the tones in this and the suggestions will only help take this up a notch.

Morkel Erasmus
01-04-2011, 04:00 AM
can only add that I like this a lot Lorant! great intimate landscape perspective with great B&W tonal range...

Jay Sheinfield
01-04-2011, 05:57 AM
Another vote for a terriffic B&W landscape image. Simple, with strong elements. The blowing sand at the top really add to the interest, as others have said.

Lorant Voros
01-06-2011, 04:57 PM
Thank you guys for all the comments. I agree with the suggestions and I will modify the picture.

Lorant