PDA

View Full Version : Cayman diveboat with a bi-color filter

Katherine Enns
01-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Hi all and Happy New Year. I know I am not supposed to do this with objects against an horizon, but I cant stop myself from being bad. This is just a submission for fun. It was shot several years ago with an old Canon Rebel, and my 24 to 105, and I have no other metadata, sorry. The is George Town. This is enhanced with Nik Efex, used for the first time today, my Christmas present.

Dave Mills
01-01-2011, 08:55 PM
Hi Katherine, and a happy new year to you and your family...
You are bad but all is forgiven since you came up with an interesting image. I like your choice of bi color filter since it exagerates the original colors and doesn't look totally alien. The diveboat is slightly offset but I have a crop suggestion. I would crop it about 3/4" to the left of the buoy and crop out about a third to 40%of the sky. Finally, if your so inclined, I would take out the small boat on the left that is merging with the diveboat....

Katherine Enns
01-01-2011, 09:54 PM
Ah, thanks Dave. A happy New year to you as well. And many more. We have had a quiet one messing with photos and watching birds at the feeders, and hearing Goldeneyes on the river.

All good suggestions. I agree with most of them. Hwvr, I think your taking the sky down too much, I like panos but I like large space in photographs, why is that?

k

Dave Mills
01-02-2011, 09:50 AM
Hi, I'm afraid only you can answer that:)

Robert Amoruso
01-03-2011, 08:50 AM
Katherine,

The use of the filter is good. I gives the image a cool look and increases its visual interest for the viewer. And it just seems to look right.

Composition: You needed to move around. The dive boat is in the center of the image and there is nothing in the image that supports that choice IMO. Better to have it on the left or right.

The top of the boat's canopy is coincident with the horizon line. getting lower would have cured that. Actually I would prefer higher and get the boat completely back-dropped by water that might have been impossible.

The top of the boat's canopy is intersecting a boat in the background.

Happy New Year.

Katherine Enns
01-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Thanks Robert, I am honored that you would comment. I know exactly what you are talking about, with the arrangement being contradictory to the rules, and I guess this is what I like about it, its not correct, the boat is almost perfectly incorrectly placed with the canopy up against the horizon. It reminds me of surfacing I guess. Thank you for your comments though. You are, of course, right.

k

Roman Kurywczak
01-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Hey Kat,
Happy New Year to you and your family!!! I think the color filter effect is pretty cool! I might be tempted to whiten the boat a bit more as it is the focal point. I would agree on the horizon......and think either more in the sky or more in the water. As for the sky crop.....either lighten the URC darker areas....or crop it out! Just some food for thought but enjoy the new toy!

Katherine Enns
01-03-2011, 04:34 PM
Thanks Roman, Happy New Year to you as well! Hope you are having fun, I am avoiding work today. I am enjoying this software, its a dream to work with. You are right on when you say to lighten the boat. Its exactly what I was thinking as well.

I had to go to the acronym list for URC, and I gather you mean upper right hand corner?? What is wrong with this corner, if you dont mind my asking?

Roman Kurywczak
01-03-2011, 04:59 PM
I just think that tonally it is grabbing my eye......so lightening it a touch will eliminate that.

Katherine Enns
01-03-2011, 05:44 PM
Here is the corrected image. I agree, its better.