Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Av mode
1/80"
F10
ISO:200
HH
LR and CS3

This one is from Christmas, '09. Cloned out some of the bigger blemishes. Tried several crops and rotations and liked this one the best. Applied light doses of high pass and smart sharpening.

Dave Leroy
01-02-2011, 12:37 PM
A lovely leaf. Very symmetrical as shown.

I also like the nice highlight rim which is really accented with the black bg.

The composition and crop really keeps the eye focused on the repeating patterns.

Crop may be tight for some, but cropping I think is often subjective.

Dave

Julie Kenward
01-02-2011, 09:31 PM
Ken, I look at this and immediately think "emboss filter". I think it might add even more to the textures you have here.

Lovely yellow against the black BG...and I think the crop looks very nice. Might take a very tiny sliver off the bottom to get the main vein to be right above the corner.

Roman Kurywczak
01-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Hey Ken,
I love the light here!!! I would like a bit more room up top (can you believe it!!!).....but this was handled very nicely!

Steve Maxson
01-03-2011, 10:36 PM
Hi Ken. Very nice colors, textures, comp, and sharpness. The rim light on the leaf edge is the finishing touch! Very well done!

Ken Childs
01-04-2011, 07:28 AM
I feel a great disturbance in the force! Jules is suggesting that I crop more and Roman is suggesting I add more room! :D

Thanks for the comments. :)
Jules, I've never done much with the emboss filter. Use overlay, soft or hard light as the blend mode?

kostas nianiopoulos
01-04-2011, 09:47 AM
i like the light , colour is good as well , well done Ken !!!

Julie Kenward
01-04-2011, 10:30 AM
Ken, yes on the blend modes. Also, the emboss layer will take on whatever color your FG color is so you could make is a similar or opposite color and depending on the blend mode, get an entirely different look.

Roman Kurywczak
01-04-2011, 02:27 PM
I feel a great disturbance in the force! Jules is suggesting that I crop more and Roman is suggesting I add more room! :D

Thanks for the comments. :)

She's been going to the Roman school of cropping too long:p!

Anita Bower
01-05-2011, 05:16 AM
The colors here are great, but the image does not work for me. I am glad you posted it, though, because i learned about the Emboss filter. Thanks to Jules' suggestion and your question about blends. :)