PDA

View Full Version : Log In Required to see images in certain forums

Joerg Rockenberger
01-01-2011, 04:46 PM
One thing I've been wondering about for a while already is that I need to log in to see images in most forums other than Avian Image Critique. For instance, I see neither the thumbnails nor the actual images in the critique forums for Wildlife, Landscape, Macro etc. (running Safari on Mac OSX at home and Firefox on Win XP at work).

Why is that? And how can it be changed? JR

Chris Ober
01-01-2011, 09:16 PM
It's probably just a permissions setting here that allow guests to view thumbnails/images. It probably got overlooked in the avian forum and should be set like the others where you have to log on to see the images. Thanks for pointing it out.

Joerg Rockenberger
01-02-2011, 12:20 AM
Well, now I can't see the images in Avian either unless I am logged in. What's the point? The purpose of my post was to accomplish the opposite!

JR

Chris Ober
01-02-2011, 01:31 AM
That's how all the other forums were configured so now it is uniform, as it should be.

The point? It keeps bandwidth costs down by preventing those that only want to scan, lurk, or leech from downloading the content available without providing some kind of log on. High usage is then able to be tracked more easily. Over 70,000 attachments and thumbnails tends to use quite a bit of bandwidth.

Why would you not want to be logged on?

Joerg Rockenberger
01-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Why would you not want to be logged on?

Convenience. Having to log on just to browse through a few postings is a nuisance. And now I can't send a link to some of my or other postings to friends and family who'd never think of signing up to this website.
And requiring a log-in is no real deterrent for those who are determined to "scan, lurk, or leech" as they as well just can create an account and get access that way. So, it really doesn't accomplish much.

JR

Daniel Cadieux
01-02-2011, 03:34 PM
Joerg: You can always check the box beside "Remember Me" this way you are automatically logged on everytime you visit BPN.

Chris: Other websites around the web, including our major competitors, allow us to browse the image critiques forums with photos showing without logging on, wouldn't that be advantageous this way (even with the bandwidth issue) so people can look around first to decide if they want to join? I'm sure there are many lurkers out there who end up registering after being able to do so...just a thought...

James Shadle
01-03-2011, 12:04 PM
You can now view thumbnails and text in all forums without logging in.
To view full size image you still need to log in.

The exceptions are the Image of the Week and Image of the Year forums.
Thumbnails and full size images can be viewed without registering or logging in.

James