PDA

View Full Version : Ruddy Turnstone

Steven Grogger
01-01-2011, 04:37 PM
I took this in October at Fort De Soto. First time I had an opportunity to take a picture of a shorebird. A lot of fun and great scenery. Adjusted contrast and brightness and added canvas. Used NR on the BKGR and removed some sea shells. Happy New Year!

Camera: Canon 50D
F-stop: F/5.6
ISO: 160
Focal length: 400mm
Metering Mode: Evaluative

John Hawkins
01-01-2011, 07:18 PM
Nice pose. like the curious look. Why does the sand look blue? Is this a large crop? I wouldn't think you would have a noise problem at 160 ISO.

Sid Garige
01-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Steven,

Exposure looks fine and nice details. Regarding composition, there is lot of -ve space on the top IMO.
Here is a traditional crop and let me know if it works.

Thanks
Sid

Steven Grogger
01-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Thank you for the comments. Sid, I do like your crop. Shows the bird better. I was trying to make the picture into an 8x10 but maybe this is not the best picture to do that with. John, not sure why the blue color on the sand. It was taken early morning on an overcast day.

Sid Garige
01-01-2011, 10:01 PM
I was trying to make the picture into an 8x10 but maybe this is not the best picture to do that with.

Steven,

Sometimes its pretty hard to maintain standard paper dimensions while making an aesthetically pleasing composition. We run into this all the time ordering prints I would not consider standard paper dimensions when it comes to posting on web.

WIlliam Maroldo
01-01-2011, 10:11 PM
Very nice image Steven, and I like Sid'd crop suggestion. The blue sand with an overcast day makes me wonder what WB setting you were using? Easily corrected in RAW.
I too wonder why there was any BG noise at ISO 160. Most likely is the image was underexposed and lightened in PP. Regards~Bill

Svante Larsson
01-02-2011, 06:49 AM
Love the repost !!!

Dave Leroy
01-02-2011, 07:05 PM
Very nice photo. I like the shooting angle.

If mine, I may have left a bit more room on the repost and I wonder if repost over corrected the rotation.

It does look like a blue colour cast although whites appear close. Perhaps try setting white and black points.

Dave

Mark Young
01-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Very nice low angle. The pose of the bird and sharpness looks great. The CCWR in the repost is a nice improvement.