PDA

View Full Version : Out of This World

Julie Kenward
01-01-2011, 03:23 PM
I saw this the other day and immediately knewI had to have an image of it. I couldn't get over how much it looked like "The Big Bang". I underexposed it slightly and then brought up the lighter areas with a curves adjustment in pp. Anybody want to take a guess what it is? :2eyes2: Also, would love to hear any ideas on how I could make it even more "authentic" looking.

Happy New Year everyone!

Canon 40D, EF 70-200mm f/4L
f10 @ 1/1250, ISO 400 (forgot to lower ISO from previous images)
Manual mode, hand held
Processed in ACR & CS5, Topaz Infocus for sharpening

Roy Priest
01-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Julie, very artistic. I think it's a hole in the ice or a broken windshield.

Brendan Dozier
01-01-2011, 03:54 PM
That is very cool, and interesting. When I saw the title and the thumbnail my eyes and mind read it as a telescope shot at first. I like images that have a bit of optical illusion.

Julie Kenward
01-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Roy, you got it...it's where someone had tried to break through the lake ice with a rock. It left all of the surrounding area with this deep gash and it looked so much like looking up at the stars at night that I just had to take it for a spin in Photoshop. I'm thinking about adding a bit of radial blur to see if that might make it look more "out there."

Roy Priest
01-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Julie, when I first saw it I wondered how you had got permission to use a large telescope to take such a great shot.:) I think you can take it up another notch in photoshop. I'll be interested to see what you come up with.

Ken Childs
01-02-2011, 08:12 AM
Hey Jules, when I saw your "what is this?" question, my first thoughts were either a hole smashed in some ice or a frosty hole in a windshield. Roy, what is it they say about great minds? :D

It's funny that some ice shots can end up looking like space shots. I took one of a frosty car window a few years ago and had a group of people fooled into thinking it was a shot of a clear, star-filled sky....that is until someone took the jpg and lightened it up enough to see what it really was.

I think a light radial blur would be perfect to give this that 'big bang' look. :)

Dave Leroy
01-02-2011, 12:43 PM
Good one Jules and it definitely looks like it is out there.

Good eye.

Dave

Steve Maxson
01-02-2011, 07:40 PM
Hi Jules. Nicely seen and photographed! It's hard to fool this guy from up north with a picture of ice. :) I'd like to spend more time taking photos like this, but our ice tends to be quickly covered by snow up here. :( Sometimes, a lot of air bubbles get trapped in the ice as it forms and thickens creating some amazing patterns that you might be on the lookout for.

Roman Kurywczak
01-03-2011, 04:33 PM
Hey Jules,
I've made a few of these myself in the ice.....you know the little boy thing! Most of the stuff is gone here now....but will be looking for the ice shortly again.
It does look like a universe image to me!