PDA

View Full Version : Bodie, California

JB Ellis
01-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Bodie is a bonified ghost town on the eastern slopes of the the Sierra mounatains, with a population of 10,000 in 1880. The last person left in the 30's. The town is now protected as a State Park by the state of California. Shot at ISO 200, 1/125, f6.5 with a Canon 40d and sigma 17-70.

Brendan Dozier
01-01-2011, 03:40 PM
Great colors and detail, nice perspective from the truck looking out. Plenty to see as the eye moves all around image, back and forth from inside and outside truck

Katherine Enns
01-01-2011, 05:28 PM
I LOVE this shot, it is wonderful!! What a great view of an old building, this is a fresh approach and really inspiring. I have one small comment, I would have shopped out what I think is a person looking in the window of the building, only because of what I think is kind of a hockey jacket or something. Its a bit distracting. A small request, and easily ignored. Just about everything else is terrific, the roiling sky, the hammered vegetation in the BG, the cracks in the windscreen of the old vehicle.

Let me say it again, I love it.

Dave Mills
01-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Hi JB, Been there on a few different occasions and for some reason never noticed this truck. I like your perspective but another possibility was to move a small bit to the left to get more of the rt buildings front in the windshield.(if the small rear bldg gets clipped then I wouldn't do it) Agree with Katherines idea regarding the man in the image. Easy fix if you choose to do it.
Finally, I noticed you shot this at F6.5. I would have preferred a higher Fstop so the whole foreground would of been sharp. Good eye on this!

Andrew McLachlan
01-02-2011, 09:22 AM
Good eye JB, agree with the above comments. Old trucks make great subjects.

Robert Amoruso
01-03-2011, 08:44 AM
JB,

I agree with losing the person and a much lower aperture was needed. For me images like this require maximum DOF. Having OOF elements in the FG distracts the viewer.

Roman Kurywczak
01-03-2011, 04:00 PM
Hey JB,
Tech points and some possible comp suggestions already offered.......but very unique view of this oft photographed subject.