PDA

View Full Version : Gerbera Jamesoni

Indranil Sircar
01-01-2011, 04:01 AM
Here is my first image of 2011... Barberton Daisy or Gerbera Jamesoni that I took while in India using my favorite Canon G11 in macro mode. For processing, I used Topaz remask to extract the flower on to a separate layer. Then reduced saturation and adjusted levels of the base layer to leave the natural texture of the bg as it is. Applied usm on the final web version. Hope you like it.

Julie Kenward
01-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Indranil, this is a beautiful colored Gerbera! Comp-wise I think it could use a tiny bit more room on both sides if you have it. I'd also take a slice off the top as well.

The one light spot in the LLC is drawing my attention away from the main show and I'm wondering if you could pull a little more detail out of the dark LRC. If you toned down the left and brought up the right just a bit more (leaving it dark - just not that dark) I think the image would have a little better balance to keep the eye on the flower.

I'm wondering why you are using Remask to put the flower on its own layer? (I just got Remask for Christmas and haven't played with it yet so I'm curious as to why you are doing this.) Is it easier than just selecting the flower, inversing the selection and then working on the BG?

Indranil Sircar
01-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Hi Julie, thanks a lot. This is very helpful. My original intent was to darken the background even further. Here is a repost with the changes you have suggested... I will have another post regarding your question on remask.

Julie Kenward
01-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Indranil, I tried a few adjustments to your second post - totally up to you if you want to incorporate them as it is your vision!

I added a soft brush at 20% set to black FG color to add a very soft vignette around the edges of the frame so the center area retained the lighter changes but then fell off so the daisy stood out as the center of attention. (Be sure to select the flower and inverse the selection as you paint so the flower's edges don't take on the darker color.)

I did a slight curves adjustment to the flower to make the center area pop and to intensify the color just a tiny bit.

Finally, I took the frame to 8" wide x 9 " tall to take a little bit off the top and to move the center of the flower slightly out of the center position and closer to the top ROT's horizontal line. See what you think and incorporate (or not) what you like.

Indranil Sircar
01-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Julie, this looks excellent and I can totally see the reason for the vignette. Thank you so much for showing the process. I will incorporate this in the master.

Going back to your original question on remask, I tend to use a lot of adjustment layers instead of Image->adjustment (with the exception of s/h). This helps me to control both opacity and masks over underlying layers instead of permanently changing the background layer. Just as in this case, I will use the brush on the underlying layer or on a blank layer without touching the background copy or the upper layers. I could extract the flower using selection and refine edge or quick mask. Remask works much better with complex edges with better edge control and brushes and now it is just part of my workflow. Ultimately both works and it is a matter of comfort.

denise ippolito
01-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Indranil, Beautiful Gerbera and the end results are lovely. I like the idea of a slice off the top and a bit more detail at the base. Nice work and an interesting post!!:)

Andrew McLachlan
01-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Nice post Indranil, beautiful colors in the blossom.:)

Patti Edens
01-02-2011, 08:39 AM
Indranil, That is a beautiful specimen of the flower and the image is lovely. I like how the flower is "growing" out of the corner of the image.

Indranil Sircar
01-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Denise, Andrew, Patti, thanks. Appreciate it a lot.