PDA

View Full Version : Frosty Tree

Andrew McLachlan
12-31-2010, 03:26 PM
I posted a shot of this tree on my blog several days ago taken at sunset with lovely pink skies. I have always wanted to capture it with hoarfrost, but for whatever reasons just never had a chance to. Yesterday we had some hoarfrost develop on the trees so I went straight for this tree. I would have preferred clear blue skies, but kind of like the "white on white" look that was being presented to me. It almost looks black & white to me.

Nikon D200
80-400 VR lens @ 100mm (150mm effective)
ISO 100
f11 @ 1/60 sec

Look forward to comments.

Dave Mills
12-31-2010, 04:27 PM
Hi Andrew, I feel you handled the image well. I like the fact you offset the tree and the snow base is not all white since I can see some feint shading. If I didn't read your statement I would think you applied a mild tone to the image. There is just enough backround color that the tree does stand out. The high key look is effective.
The only thing I might do to the image is crop the sky a bit.I would say reduce by a third. This will still leave alot of sky without giving up the "feel" Very simple comps like this can prove to be quite strong.

jack williamson
12-31-2010, 07:06 PM
I agree with Dave about the sky crop. Strong image. I love the very subtle colors.

Robert Amoruso
01-01-2011, 09:04 AM
ndrew,

Dave summed it up perfectly. A classic image done well. I agree with his crop suggest. Happy New Year.

Roman Kurywczak
01-03-2011, 03:54 PM
Hey Andrew,
I agree that the white on white is very effective! I think the crop would work.....but I am OK with the OP too as it makes the mood and isolation feel even stronger. Just keep in mind to put a thin black border around it for presentation here to give a bit more seperation with the BG.
Very well done overall!

Andrew McLachlan
01-03-2011, 04:14 PM
Much thanks for the comments guys. Very much appreciated!