PDA

View Full Version : After the Storm

John Platt
12-31-2010, 03:41 AM
Railroad Park in Dunsmuir, Ca. after the last series of storms blew through.

Nikon D700
14-24 2.8 Nikor
1/250 @ f11
ISO 800

Developed in LR3
HDR'd in Photomatix 4.0

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5009/5308449857_fcccf8f54a_b.jpg

All feedback welcome, thanks for looking.

JP

Dave Mills
12-31-2010, 10:25 AM
Hi John, Very interesting image! Good framing of all the key elements with a realistic handling of the HDR process. Being a bit tight on the left doesn't bother me along with the rock merges but I would have liked to have seen a bit more water on the bottom.
This scene lends itself to different views and I hope you worked it...

Roman Kurywczak
12-31-2010, 10:46 AM
Hey John,
I think you composed this nicely and like Dave, I too would like a bit more room for the water flow......but not a deal breaker. I do think the UR area looks like it has almost a vignette.....that often helps an image but in this case....draws my eye a bit too much. I think smoothing that out in tonality will help take this up another notch. Nicely done overall!

John Platt
12-31-2010, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the feedback, there is another car to the left so I had to be tight. I will remove the vignette and see if I can open up the bottom a little, I can't remember how much room there is down there.

Andrew McLachlan
12-31-2010, 03:16 PM
Hi John, you captured a nice scene here. Agree with Dave and Roman's comments. Well done!

Robert Amoruso
01-01-2011, 09:10 AM
John, Dave and Roman summed it up well. To me the image looks somewhat unsharp. I know that sometimes when you link externally that can be it. If not some additional sharpening is in order. In particular the LL rock. I am thinking that due to the framing and closeness of the rock, you might be past the near focus limit.

Happy New Year!