PDA

View Full Version : American Coot - a first for me (in Canada).

Daniel Cadieux
12-30-2010, 11:13 PM
I've seen these guys alot in the past, mostly in Florida (before my photography days), but not here in my hometown where they are considered quite uncommon. Where they do occur they are generally unaccessible and out of sight. When a family of three (male, female, juvenile) decided to make their temporary home close to a public park, well, many local photograhers took the opportunity to photograph them. I suppose many of you might find it odd that such a common bird would attract such attention :p!!

They were almost always in good range for those with a 500mm + TC, but for my shorter focal lenght I needed to hunker down into the reeds and hope for a swim-by or two (they wouldn't come in closer if not hiding). Fairly busy BG, but this was the "cleanest" image I got - the result of lying in the seeping muck. Just about FF, so my startegy worked :-)

Canon 40D + 100-400L at 400mm, aperture priority, evaluative metering, 1/500s., f/6.3, ISO 800, +0.3 EC, natural light, handheld.

Doug Brown
12-30-2010, 11:27 PM
I like the low angle and sharpness. Blacks could go a little darker for my taste. I might remove the stuff under the bill. Coots are so common where I live that I couldn't imagine getting down in the muck for a photo opportunity. I applaud your dedication and field craft!

Vivaldo Damilano
12-31-2010, 01:54 AM
Nicely taken, low angle make the image, excellent detail captured and like the head angle. A very difficult subject to retain good detail in the blacks and whites.

Duane Noblick
12-31-2010, 05:06 AM
Common to most, uncommon for me as well. I applaud your dedication to capturing such a fine image of this Coot.

Myer Bornstein
12-31-2010, 07:19 AM
What is common to some is freer to another. However, even common subjects deserve our attention. I find coops to be very interesting birds and they are usually hard to photograph. I applaud your dedication also

Randy Stout
12-31-2010, 09:16 AM
Daniel:

Good work getting this fellow! Nice angle, colors are good, background subdued enough to not distract from bird, but establishes the environment.

As Doug mentioned, I could see a couple points darker on the blacks.

Cheers

Randy

Pieter de Waal
12-31-2010, 09:34 AM
As mentioned Daniel great dedication in getting your shot. Blacks are nicely exposed with good detail and I love the contrasting colour of the ripples in the water.

Aidan Briggs
12-31-2010, 01:31 PM
Ditto Doug. I can't imagine expending that much effort for a coot image. If you ever come to California you will find them everywhere!! Excellent techs, low angle, and HA as expected. The reeds are a little bit distracting but they add a nice feel of habitat to the image.

Well done!!