PDA

View Full Version : A Wet Day

Dave Leroy
12-30-2010, 11:04 PM
I took this a few days ago.

Another I am curious about.

50D, 100mm, 1/60, f4, ISO200.

The very top leaf in BG was cut and I removed part so nothing touching frame.

This pretty much straight from camera with the usual pp'n so I don't think it was out of box, but rather out of camera.

Dave

Roman Kurywczak
12-31-2010, 06:10 PM
Hey Dave,
I like your OOTB thinking and this one does work a bit better for me as it is a bit more surreal. You have also captured a dreary feel IMO.....so it works on that level too. While I generally prefer more in focus......I don't mind the progression. I've debated the business and while I also prefer much cleaner in general, this would then lose the mood. I am not fond of the 1 OOF drop in the brownish tip. I do hope you also took the 1 drop close and just alone.....but for mood alone this one works for me although it may not have the wow quality.....this fits a mood very well.

Julie Kenward
01-01-2011, 09:50 AM
Dave, as Roman said the mood here is striking. That said, I see the dark berry with almost no detail is the most infocus item in the image. I'm wondering why you chose that over that beautiful and larger leaf just behind it? If you were wanting the water drop on the berry to be the star of the image then I think you'd do better to go in closer and just photograph the berry and drop. With the leaf, stems, and branches all OOF it's a bit too much for me to hold my attention as a viewer.

Dave Leroy
01-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Thanks to you both for your comments and I hope you both have a good 2011.

Jules picking the berry was easy as it was on the end of the branch. I have a few with red berries with more detail on the berries. The colour and detail does make the berries more interesting.
I had wanted to include more than one element in each photo and increasing dof really started to make them messy. I had also thought of blurring that leaf just a bit. It seems to need more attention. Oh well.

I got the mood so that is a very good start for me.

Dave

Ken Childs
01-02-2011, 07:47 AM
Hi Dave, while you definitely captured the dreary mood, there's a little too much going on for my tastes. I like the leaf on the left and the wet berry on the right so if this was my tree, I would have been out there with the clippers and would have removed some or all of the 2 branches that are pointing right at us. :)