PDA

View Full Version : Bittern

Leon Robinson Jr.
12-29-2010, 09:43 PM
Have shot birds very infrequently and forgot how addictive it is! First time at Circle B Bar Reserve (Lakeland FL) and it's a playground for bird photgraphy! I followed this bittern for an hour waiting for opportunities. Observing it move meticulously through the marsh was fascinating.

Canon 7D - 400mm - f5.6 - 1/640 - ISO 320 - Better Beamer/FF - Lightroom

Sid Garige
12-29-2010, 11:10 PM
Composition and exposure looks good Leon. Too bad you had to deal with cluttered background and harsh light. Good luck next time.

Julie Kenward
12-30-2010, 08:14 AM
I agree with Sid - you have lovely detail on the bird, a good HA, pose, and catch light - but the harsh light and busy BG are really weighing the image down.

If I was to recrop this I'd take off part of the bottom just above where the shadows are and then add a bit to the left side & take away from the right to take his eye out of the center and closer to the right ROT's position.

If this was made midday or very early afternoon you'd do better to try the morning or late afternoon light. You could try to do a reverse curve adjustment to see if you could soften the light a little and a bit of gaussian blur on the BG might also work.

John Chardine
12-30-2010, 02:24 PM
It's very hard to get close to this species, at least in my experience. You did well Leon. I think with some lightening (dodging) and darkening (burning in) you can reduce the effect of the harsh light. Agree for sure that a crop is in order. This would be a very nice portrait with about 1/3 of the neck included.