PDA

View Full Version : End of season leaf

Dave Leroy
12-29-2010, 07:25 PM
I am curious about this one. Taken yesterday on a typical winter day for our area, grey and wet.
50D, 100mm macro, 1/25, f11, ISO100.

I cropped some from the sides, popped the leaf a bit and the water drop a bit more. I also removed one smaller drop that had lost the nice tear drop shape.

Dave

Julie Kenward
12-29-2010, 09:49 PM
Dave, I like the leaf and the branch it's caught up on but the BG is just a little too busy for me. If it all had the nice brown color on the left side of the frame I think it would look less cluttered and more harmonious.

Ken Childs
12-30-2010, 09:26 AM
Hey Dave, I'm with Jules on this one....the leaf looks good and I really like the stick poking through it but there's too much going on in the BG.

Here's a quick edit with a blurred BG. I spent maybe 4 or 5 minutes doing this and it's just a proof of concept but if you're willing to spend some time working on that BG, I think you could get something that looks natural.

Julie Kenward
12-30-2010, 10:08 AM
Ken, that is a big improvement! Might try to also lighten/brighten it just a bit without losing the autumnal feel of the piece.

Roman Kurywczak
12-30-2010, 12:42 PM
Hey Dave,
I like the direction Ken took this.....if possible moving around in the field may have given you that option.....but nice to have the tools now to do this in PP'ing if you chose that route!

Dave Leroy
12-30-2010, 04:49 PM
Thanks Ken for taking the time for the repost and very nicely done. It certainly makes for a different photo.

I had removed some of the clutter by cropping. My thought was the dark, irregular and intruding branches added to mood of the scene, sort of dark and brooding while waiting for better times ie spring.

I missed the boat on this one I guess.

I may have a look at blending all but a few, trying for a picture frame effect, and if I have success will repost.

Dave

Steve Maxson
12-31-2010, 01:07 PM
Hi Dave. Here's another vote for Ken's repost. IMO it really helps to focus our attention on the leaf and the mix of grays in the background still conveys a dark overcast mood. :)

Anita Bower
01-05-2011, 05:09 AM
Beautiful leaf! I like Ken's repost and Jule's suggestion of brightening it just a bit. It captures winter.