PDA

View Full Version : The Knysna Heads

Andrew Aveley
12-29-2010, 03:36 PM
One of the most intriguing passages of water in the southern hemisphere.After a 30 min hike i captured the western headland at sunset in light rain. Took this image on a olympus pen camera. ISO 100 @ F22 , 2 sec at 15 mm FL. Basic PS work and cropped some of the sky from the top.

Roman Kurywczak
12-30-2010, 11:54 AM
Hey Andrew,
Looks like it is worth the hike! Good job minimizing the sky but I do wish it had a bit more drama in it. I think playing around with some of the tones in the rocks and water will help take this up a notch or two and if you are OK with such things.....cleaning up the RH rock edge will also help. Small tweaks will make this one shine!

Andrew Aveley
12-30-2010, 12:56 PM
thanks Roman. Any suggestions on how to do it? Would appreciate a repost from you :) I have some others with longer exposures and movement in the clouds.........seem to get lots on noise in the clouse when working them......Any suggestions would be great:cool:

Roman Kurywczak
12-30-2010, 01:14 PM
Hey Andrew,
Yep......longer exposures can do funny things to the clouds! In the repost.....I slected from the horizon down and did a S/H adjustment.....then a smaller one on the top. I also did a levels layer on the sky and mountain.....avoiding the whitish area on the horizon and then a levels layer on the mountain on the right......and a final LCE to give it the pop. Let me know your thoughts.
I did not clean up the rocks on the RH edge.....as that is a personal ethics thing and it doesn't seem to bother me quite as much now.

Andrew Aveley
12-30-2010, 01:39 PM
okay then:p :cheers:thanks for that great repost. I have some work to do!!! My ps skills are sill on the young side so i will work this one over again. I have some longer exposures with great cloud movement so i will work them also. I am not that rigid with landscape images regarding cleaning up so i will have a look a what i can do ! thanks a stack !!

Robert Amoruso
12-30-2010, 08:38 PM
Great scene Andrew and Roman gave you somoe great help.

Morkel Erasmus
12-31-2010, 04:38 AM
lovely scene Andrew and great repost by Roamin Roman! is this PEN the new toy you were being so coy about on FB?? would love to know your thoughts as these small cameras are really an attractive option versus a high-end P&S

Andrew Aveley
12-31-2010, 06:18 AM
thanks Robert and Morkel. Yes this is what i was revving Roger Machin with on FB :) I am busy doing extensive tests over the next 3 weeks with 3 various bodies. I am looking for a dedicated walk around unit that can capture great landscapes. I would love a ff canon body but cannot justify the expense :) I will be hiking here again tonight if the rain moves off!

Morkel Erasmus
12-31-2010, 06:41 AM
keep me posted on your results :)

Dave Mills
12-31-2010, 10:16 AM
Hi Andrew, busy time of year so I've been a bit late to this. I like the basic comp and the foreground rock formations that are nicely placed. The band of light on the left creates interest in an open area. Roman's repost brightened and added some richness of color which is pleasing and helped add more dimension overall.
I also like how the water's color was enriched

Andrew McLachlan
12-31-2010, 03:10 PM
Hi Andrew, this looks like a beautiful location. You did well with the comp. I like how Roman took it up a notch. Well done.

Andrew Aveley
01-02-2011, 12:58 PM
thanks all for the great feedback. ! It has already made me think more about the end result and additional ps options ! Thanks Morkel, will keep you updated:cool: