PDA

View Full Version : Feather Freeze

Julie Kenward
12-29-2010, 02:50 PM
Found this feather frozen to the surface of a nearby lake last week. I darkened the corners of the image a bit and then added a directional light to highlight the feather a little more.

Canon 40D, EF 70-200mm f/4L
f10 @ 1/320th, ISO 400
Pattern metering, handheld
CS5/Topaz InFocus

Dave Leroy
12-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Really nicely done Jules. I like the darkened corners and lightened up feather.

I really like the nice pattern in the feather.

I do wonder about a bit off top and a bit more on bottom..

Good find.

Dave

Julie Kenward
12-29-2010, 06:48 PM
Dave, if I recropped it with more on bottom and less on top I'm afraid it would end up floating in the middle. Or are you talking just a sliver here and there?

Dave Leroy
12-29-2010, 07:04 PM
Dave, if I recropped it with more on bottom and less on top I'm afraid it would end up floating in the middle. Or are you talking just a sliver here and there?

Yea, I know what you mean Jules.

Right now I would say the minimum distance ratio of top to bottom is about 4 to one. Perhaps a ration of 2 or 3 /1 would feel a bit less spacious on top. I think 2 at top to one at bottom would look nice and not leave the feather in the middle.

Dave

Ken Childs
12-30-2010, 11:20 AM
Jules, the patterns you captured on the feather are awesome and that frost is the icing on the cake! The dark edges and corners do a great job of focusing attention on the feather. I would take a small slice off the top but IMO, it doesn't need more space on the bottom.

Roman Kurywczak
12-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Hey Jules,
Spotlit effect works great for me......with Ken on the top crop......and as you know.....the bottom is fine for me too! Very nice find and very nicely done!

Jay Sheinfield
12-30-2010, 05:04 PM
Nice work Jules..........agree with Ken's crop suggestion. Nice lighting.

Julie Kenward
12-30-2010, 05:51 PM
After looking at it for awhile I think Ken's right...a little more off the top should do it. Thank you all so much for your help and comments!

Steve Maxson
12-31-2010, 01:01 PM
Hi Jules. There is a lot to like about this image. The diagonal comp, the interesting shape and sharpness of the feather, the ice, and the frost all work nicely together to make this an appealing image. :) I would agree with cropping a little off the top. Well done.

Amy DeStefanis
01-02-2011, 08:42 PM
As I looked down the thumbnails and saw this, I knew it had to be by Jules! :) You do icy subjects so well!

The patterns are great - and I love the edges of the feather where it looks like ice crystals have stitched it onto the ice....

Amy

Anita Bower
01-05-2011, 05:07 AM
You continue to make good photographic use of water! The simplicity of this image causes me to look closely at the feather colors, patterns and textures. Very nice!