PDA

View Full Version : Brown-capped Rosy Finch

Mike Milicia
12-29-2010, 11:12 AM
EOS-1D Mk IV, 500mm f/4 + 2xII, 1/800, f/8, ISO 800
About 60% of Full Frame

Finally getting around to processing images from a recent trip to New Mexico.
This image was captured at Sandia Crest on 11/29 at 6 degrees with a wind chill of -15 and light snow.
The Crest House was not open so I was limited to photographing from the walkway to the right.

Looking forward to your comments and critiques !

Joey Lounsbury
12-29-2010, 11:47 AM
Great shot Mike! the bird is nice and sharp, however the branch in the top left hand corner is pretty distracting. Not sure If you got any different angles.

Danny J Brown
12-29-2010, 12:00 PM
A beautiful photograph of a bird I've never seen. I can see the slight rosy color on its body....such a nice-looking little finch. The frosty surroundings frame the bird nicely and you've demonstrated the power of your equipment (and your skill as a photographer) to make a tack sharp image with the 2.0TC very nicely. Too bad about the dark spot that Joey mentioned but that is the way it goes sometimes. Great work.

DB

Kaustubh Deshpande
12-29-2010, 01:14 PM
Mike, this one has a great great feel. What a wonderful capture. Terrific sharpness, DOF, composition and environment. Perfect exposure and HA.

Pieter de Waal
12-29-2010, 02:47 PM
I agree Mike a beautifull image of this finch, sharp with great exposure and feather detail and you have captured the subtle colours of the finch beautifully.

Brendan Dozier
12-29-2010, 06:39 PM
Beautiful colors on bird and great image. Love the setting & placement of subject is just right.
agree, toning down are taking out branch in LC could help.

Michael Bertelsen
12-29-2010, 06:51 PM
Hi Mike,

Fantastic image, if it was mine and I wish it was.
I would remove the ULC branch. You might be able to do it with a simple crop.

Cheers,

Michael Bertelsen

Paul Lagasi
12-29-2010, 06:58 PM
Mike, these are some of the toughest birds to get, in front of the lens, Sandia Crest is the only place you can get all 3 (was there last year). Its usually an exposure nightmare, with all the snow. Well done, sharp, nice bird exposure..I'd probably clone out the branch but lovely as presented. TFS