PDA

View Full Version : Vermont Winter

Bob Malbon
12-29-2010, 10:39 AM
Was hoping for a few clouds at sundown yesterday since no clouds I feel the B&W shows this scene the best for that moment in time. 1D MKIII w/ 17/40 f4 at 17mm 1/125 at f11, manual exp. iso200. Bob
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Dave Mills
12-29-2010, 02:35 PM
Hi Bob, I took this into PS and played with it a bit. I applied S/H in order to lighten some of the middleground(trees) which brought out more detail. I then cropped the image rather strongly. I cropped the left up to the larger group of trees and the rt just past the trees that are sticking up.(just past the small house. Then I cropped out about 40% of the sky and the foreground just past the first centered shaded induntation in the snow. Finally I burned in the mountain area on the rt. Sounds like alot but it went very quickly.
I wanted to concentrate more on the center farm area and tighten up the comp...

Bob Malbon
12-29-2010, 06:13 PM
Dave, Post it, I would like to see. Bob
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Roman Kurywczak
12-30-2010, 10:10 AM
Hey Bob,
It will be interesting to see Dave's repost as his thoughts echo some of mine. You need to keep in mind that the 17-40 .....or most WA's for that matter have a tendency to minimize distant objects.....so placing a strong FG element to emphasize it, while mainting the vastness of the WA..... is often a good option. I think going to tthe 40mm spectrum of that lens would tighten up the comp as Dave possibly did with his crop suggestion......keeping a sense of the scene yet getting you a stronger focal point. Nice thought process on converting this to B&W since snow scenes tend to go that direction many times anyway. I am returning to a bunch of snow in a few days.....right now I am enjoying the 70's of S Miami!

Robert Amoruso
12-30-2010, 08:32 PM
Bob, I think Dave and Roman had excellent suggestions.

Dave Mills
12-31-2010, 10:07 AM
Per your request

Bob Malbon
12-31-2010, 11:13 AM
Dave, Thanks, I learn more from the visual than the written word so that helps. Also I like it better!! Bob
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Andrew McLachlan
12-31-2010, 03:07 PM
Hi Bob, I like what Dave did with repost.