PDA

View Full Version : adobe bridge color alteration

Jared Lloyd
03-17-2008, 03:38 PM
So I am having a problem with Bridge changing the saturation and overall tonal values of my NEF files. When I first upload the photographs and bring up bridge, all the photos look the same as the LCD on my camera. However, once I click on the photo, I watch as Bridge automatically makes color adjustments to the files. This only happens with the photographs taken from my D300. Raw files from the D100 do not change when viewed. This change is also permanent. When the file is brought up in Photoshop CS3, the color rendetion is the same as the changes made in Bridge. What is going on here, and how can I stop this?

thanks,
Jared

Robert O'Toole
03-17-2008, 09:59 PM
I think you are confusing Bridge with ACR. When you say 'click" on the file to you mean to say open the image in ACR?
I dont really know what to say.
ACR changes the files dramatically based on presets. You always have full control of the settings and none are ever permanent, you are talking about NEF files right? You may think the changes are permanent because ACR writes a XMP file with the conversion settings and saves the file. Delete the file or change the ACR settings and the image will look different in ACR.
If you are interested in learning more there are 100s and 1000s of free docs online, google, how to use ACR or ACR settings, or search utube or goodle video for the same.

Hope I could help a little.

Robert

Jared Lloyd
03-18-2008, 10:59 AM
When I said "click" on the image, i didnt mean "double click." I'm just bringing the image up in Bridge to view. Thumbnails look one way, then I click to enlarge it and the colors change.

Jared Lloyd
03-18-2008, 04:06 PM
Ok, so after experimenting a bit, it seems to me that Bridge is removing the in camera Picture Controls that are set. This is only happening with the RAW files though, as JPG maintains the Vivid settings from the camera.

JH Tugs
03-18-2008, 08:20 PM
Raw files have a JPEG preview of the picture embedded within them; these JPEGs are processed using the in-camera settings.

It seems likely that Bridge is using the JPEG preview to show you the image quickly on import, then when you open it to view properly, it is decoding the actual RAW file - which means ignoring your in-camera settings, as they were only applied to the preview JPEG.

That's my guess.

Jared Lloyd
03-18-2008, 08:26 PM
So then does that mean that all in camera settings are null and void when shooting in RAW

JH Tugs
03-18-2008, 08:34 PM
Yes. Raw files are not processed by in-camera settings - they are, as it were, straight from the sensor. The in-camera settings only affect JPEGs - either when you save to JPEG, or as the preview in a Raw file.

Also, the histogram on your camera is generated based on that (processed) JPEG - so understanding the effect that your in-camera settings have on the histogram is quite important if you use it to gauge correct exposure.

JH Tugs
03-18-2008, 08:37 PM
You might also enjoy this thread, on a related note:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=197

Jared Lloyd
03-19-2008, 10:31 AM
It would also seem that NEF files when processed through NX retained Vivid settings (or at least something very close).

David Kennedy
03-19-2008, 12:33 PM
It would also seem that NEF files when processed through NX retained Vivid settings (or at least something very close).

That should come as little surprise as it's a contained loop. JH is correct that any software other than Nikon's will treat RAW files completely independently of any in-camera settings. Those settings are only maintained in JPEGs where the changes are permanent.

As for ACR and the "changes" in color from thumbnail to full-screen view, Robert was explaining that Bridge loads the RAW files in a two-stage process. First, it tries to load a thumbnail as quickly as it possibly can so you can see all of your photos in tiny form. Then, Bridge begins to update those thumbnails (and clicking on it to view it full-size does this as well) with the color that would result in its standard settings.

If you plan to use Bridge for a lot of your editing, I would seriously consider buying up the latest edition of Real World Camera RAW by Jeff Schewe (he picked up the torch of the late and great Bruce Fraser). It will explain all of the details of how that loading process works and what you can do to tailor it to your own needs. The short of it is that you can go in and change the default handling of your D300 files so that it does not perform "Auto Adjustments." You can then ask bridge to remember this setting for all photos captured with that camera. (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/cr-auto.shtml)

Jared Lloyd
03-19-2008, 12:42 PM
awesome, thanks so much for everyones help!
Jared