PDA

View Full Version : Coolum Dusk

Mark Rayner
12-29-2010, 05:44 AM
Taken just after sunset at Coolum on Queensland's Sunshine Coast. The sun was behind me and below the horizon but the colours lingered on for quite a while.
Nikon D3 with Nikkor 14-24 f/2.8
2.5s @ f/22 ISO 100

Robert Amoruso
12-29-2010, 08:09 AM
Mark,

You certainly had a very nice scene that evening. The shutter speed was well chosen to capture the right amount of blur in the water. I like that it is rushing between the rocks in the FG.

If you can do the following w/o introducing some undesirable element into the image I suggest the following with regards to composition.

1) Include more of the BG rocks on the left to balance better with the much larger ones on the right BG.

2) In the FG, if you can include the larger rock in lieu of clipping it that would be preferable.

I felt the rocks looked "muddy" and decided to try a Shadows/Highlights adjustment (PS) to open up the shadows. I then sharpened it to see how it looked.

Liking the results I have posted it here. The rocks in the middle ground and BG may be a tad too sharp, but the FG ones need it. Selective sharpening is needed. I only globally sharpened the whole image.

I hope this area is close to you as it looks like a place worth repeated visits.

Rene Quenneville
12-29-2010, 09:43 AM
Great image. Robert has expressed well some potential improvements.
I like the tone and mood. Very well composed.

Dave Mills
12-29-2010, 02:42 PM
Hi Mark, I like the image and agree with Roberts compositional suggestions. I also like how he lightened and sharpened the rocks including the foreground which brought out more detail. As Rene stated the image has an appealing mood and places the viewer into the scene...

Brendan Dozier
12-29-2010, 10:33 PM
Very nice image and scenery. The colors are lush - like the color combinations with opposites light green in FG and redish orange in BG sky. Agree with changes, and thanks Robert for clear explaination and example

Roman Kurywczak
12-30-2010, 10:02 AM
Hey Mark,
I like how Robert lightened the rocks and brought out some more color but I may keep the darker/moodier look of them. I agree with Robert's in the field comp suggestions but here is one for the post......crop just above the lowest rock crack in the center/right.....this helps strengthen the comp overall for me by minimizing some of the sand on the LLC. I think overall you did well and this is definitely a place you should revisit often if possible!

Mark Rayner
12-30-2010, 05:55 PM
Thanks everyone for the feedback and suggestions.

It is a spot I will certainly be returning to (when the weather sorts itself out. Crazy here at present). :)

I've put a couple of the suggestions into this re-vamped version.

Robert Amoruso
12-30-2010, 08:35 PM
I like the new crop. It really brings out the strength of the large rock in the water.

Morkel Erasmus
12-31-2010, 04:40 AM
your last repost is much better - I love how the colours linger after sunset :)
I would try and recover some shadow detail on the front rocks?

Roman Kurywczak
12-31-2010, 10:58 AM
Hey Mark,
Crop was hwere I would go.....just tweak the rock like Robert's direction......and this one will shine.

Dave Mills
12-31-2010, 11:25 AM
Hi Mark, like the repost! Agree on bringing out a bit more detail on the rocks as suggested and you have a winner!!

Andrew McLachlan
12-31-2010, 03:04 PM
Hi Mark, a little late to this one, but this is a lovely scene. Robert has given some excellent suggestions. I like you repost, but lean a little more towards Robert's post with the lighter rocks - just my preference. Look forward to more of your work from this location when you revisit.