PDA

View Full Version : Baby, It's Cold Outside!

Julie Kenward
12-27-2010, 08:00 PM
It's been FOREVER since I had time to shoot. Sheesh, the entire autumn flew by as did the holiday season! I finally got all the other commitments out of the way and this past Sunday I went out in the freezing cold and took some images of the fountain down on the street corner. This was a close up of the water spray frozen near the base. The blue shadows was in the original image so I left it there (I did desaturate it a bit in the whiter areas but left the full impact of it in the bottom crease.) I also used the Topaz InFocus plugin to do my sharpening - it did a beautiful job of crisping up all the little tiny edges. :)

Canon 40D, EF 70-200mm f/4L
F13 @ 1/160th, ISO 200
Auto WB, pattern metering, fill flash
CS5, Infocus

Ken Childs
12-28-2010, 09:08 AM
Cool find, Jules! :D I second the 'it's cold outside' motion! As I'm typing this, it's 15F and I'm sitting here with a heater pointed at my feet!

That blue is wonderful and you did a great job of having just the right amount of brightness so that there's detail showing, even in the lightest areas.

I know what you mean by not having enough time to shoot recently. The only pictures I've taken lately were the obligatory family Christmas shots and the monthly horse pics. Santa brought me a couple of photography related goodies so I'm chomping at the bit to start shooting again!

Roman Kurywczak
12-28-2010, 11:26 AM
Hey Jules,
Colors and sharpness look great! I like the way the textures really come through and the patterns in the ice iwth the subtle tones of blue really making this shine! I was going to recommend a small crop off the top....eliminating the v on the upper ROT line.......but I am giving a holiday crop pass:D.....so very well done!!!

Julie Kenward
12-28-2010, 11:49 AM
Roman, I debated the same crop issue. I finally put it so the line of blue ran at the 1/3 ROT's mark and let that be the guide. I also thought about a pano crop but loved the different layers of ice so went with the full size image instead.

Don't worry...I've got more from that day that I'm sure you'll want me to crop!!!

Amy DeStefanis
12-28-2010, 12:26 PM
Hi Julie!

The blue is great - makes it look that much colder! We live near the strawberry fields, and with the hard freeze, they are pumping water onto the crops overnight. You've inspired me to plan on walking to the end of the road with my long lens to capture the winter wonderland first thing in the morning before it melts. (of course, the warm covers and dogs curled up with me might change my mind....) If I get something decent, I'll post. If not - I'll admit I stayed in bed!!!

Steve Maxson
12-29-2010, 12:14 AM
Hi Jules. Really "cool" shapes, textures, and colors. The blue almost gives it a glacial look and the fill flash worked well here. Very well done.

On the other hand, I'm not sure what to make of this talk about cold weather. Where I live, 15 degrees at this time of year is considered a warm spell! :confused::2eyes2::p

Norm Dulak
12-29-2010, 09:56 AM
Hi Jules.

Really pleasing colors and textures, and a wonderful example of the capture of a subject that others walk by without notice. You prove that there are treasures all around us, if we only have the eye to see them. :)

Two further comments. If you would be so kind as to superimpose a few penguins on the lower portion of your image, I will be inspired to seek the same on an ice formation in Antarctica next year! :p And I may well bookmark this page and view it again next summer, when oppressive heat and humidity again strike the mid-Atlantic.

Norm

Julie Kenward
12-29-2010, 11:20 AM
Norm, if I had any penguin photos I'd be happy to oblige! And don't think these images go unviewed by me in the heat of summer, either! When it's hot, I want cold; when it's cold, I want hot!

Ken Childs
12-29-2010, 11:40 AM
On the other hand, I'm not sure what to make of this talk about cold weather. Where I live, 15 degrees at this time of year is considered a warm spell! :confused::2eyes2::p
I suppose it would be mean to tell you that it should be close to 70 degrees here on Friday so I won't mention it. :D

Julie Kenward
12-29-2010, 09:59 PM
Doesn't bother me a bit, Norm...it's supposed to be close to 60 here tomorrow. Of course the day after that the bottom falls out again! That's life in Missouri. If you don't like the weather, just wait another day! :D

Jay Sheinfield
12-30-2010, 05:12 PM
whoahhh..........cool. Agree with Roman on the crop. Super lighting. This has a real ice cave effect. The dripping pattern is terriff. Did you think about trying Simplfy 3 on this?, might be an interesting twist.

Hazel Grant
01-01-2011, 10:47 PM
no debate on the blues, the focus, the respect for you to venture out into the freezing weather....there is debate apparenty on the crop, and I must side with the crop. I'd take some off the top to allow that beautiful blue area to be more the point of attention. But nevertheless....great shot! I'm not as brave as you in this weather---guess that's why I don't have any wonderful ice shots:):):)

Anita Bower
01-04-2011, 05:18 PM
I am way behind in commenting on photos!

Wonderful image. It makes me shiver. Great details and colors and patterns. I'm surprised the fill flash worked so very well.

Do keep warm, but dash out now and then to take photos. :-)