PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Range

Bob Malbon
12-27-2010, 02:32 PM

From the 26th in Northern Vermont - Hiked to a high meadow for a sunrise shoot but typical of this area no real sunrise! Canon mkIII on a 70-200 f2.8 IS, 1/640, f8 at 1600 iso, manual exp. plus 1 stop. handheld - I know carry the tripod!!!
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Robert Amoruso
12-28-2010, 09:06 AM
Hi Bob,

Too bad on the sunrise. You cut the lower horizon in a good spot though I find the two taller trees distracting and would suggest them not having been included. The lack of good like and details in the middle and backgrounds hinders an appreciation of the scene.

In better light, this can be a good place for a look at those snow topped mountains.

Bob Malbon
12-28-2010, 09:31 AM
Robert, Agree on those points. Should have gone this AM - only 2nd clearish sunrises this month! BUT the 5 degree reading and NW wind kept me close to the woodstove. Mts are well coated wit an added snowfall and temps the rest of the week in the low 20's at sunup so I will try this sweet spot again (with a tripod!) Here is the 90 degree view from that image - towards the West (in B&W). Thanks, Bob

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Dave Mills
12-28-2010, 10:22 AM
Hi Bob, Agree with Robert regarding the distracting nature of the 2 taller trees on the lower left. Even though the middle and backround have a soft,dreamy quality I too would have liked more detail in those areas. Light is everything in photography and would like to see this with early light. I like how the image is cropped...

Roman Kurywczak
12-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Hey Bob,
Can't add much to the above but will add....if you find a good spot.....revisiting it often will only ensure you get one when the conditions are right!

Bob Malbon
12-28-2010, 12:37 PM
Those 2 Birch are not possible to get out of frame without a chainsaw due to the slop I was on. Not sure I agree about "Light".
That range is an afternoon spot, I was there to get "Alpin Glow" on the East facing range But no sun.
This is a sweet spot to set up as I try to learn the my new home turf. Will be building a home for a client in Spring with the most spectacular view in this area - might have to make a few site visits this Winter!
Thanks for the input.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Robert Amoruso
12-29-2010, 08:11 AM
Bob,

Thanks for the info. On a clearer day this can be a cherry location.