PDA

View Full Version : Seasons Greeeting from Florida!

Roman Kurywczak
12-27-2010, 02:20 PM
Finally got to head out to one of my favorite places here in S. Florida......Butterfly World. Unfortunately, it is getting very cold for Miami.....last night was in the upper 30's!!! At least I wasn't home where we got 28 inches of snow at my house.......yikes I will owe my brother big time! They started to collect the butterfly in the enclosure as I was there photographing.....so had to work the few hiding subjects quickly!
Canon 1D Mark lll with the Sigma 180mm macr at f22 for 1/100 sec at ISO 800 with the MT24 twin lights at +1/3. HH (no tripods allowed) very small crop and noise ninja used in PP'ing. Saved at 73 quality.
It is supposed to warm up into the upper 70's......so I plan a return trip this week.

Norm Dulak
12-27-2010, 06:32 PM
Greetings to you too, Roman, and thanks for a bright and cheery posting in the face of the deep freeze we in the mid-atlantic are experiencing.

I like the contrast of the bright colors of your butterfly with the much more somber substrate it is on. And the composition, sharpness and dof are excellent.

Do you know what kind of butterfly that is?

Norm

denise ippolito
12-27-2010, 07:25 PM
Roman, Great use of the 180mm. Love the sharp details and colors. Beautiful background and comp.:)

Julie Kenward
12-27-2010, 07:37 PM
Geason Seedings to you, too, Roman. :p

There's a typical Roman crop but in this case I love it. That butterfly really has some presence and the soft beige plant balances nicely with that neon butterfly. I very much like the angle of the insect within the frame - very nice diagonal!

Do I need to break out my butterfly book or do you know what this one is?

Andrew McLachlan
12-27-2010, 08:36 PM
Very nice Roman! Love the butterfly's colors.

Ken Childs
12-28-2010, 08:41 AM
Nice work, Roman! Everything look great here....you and those twin lights are a killer combination!

Jules, this is a Goliath Birdwing. No, I'm not that good with tropical butterflies but yes, I am that good with Google Images! :D

Roman Kurywczak
12-28-2010, 10:25 AM
Thanks all! ......and thanks Ken as i was going to have to break out my book when I got home!

Steve Maxson
12-28-2010, 11:51 PM
Hi Roman. Very nice job on your birdwing. Nice comp, good sharpness, and a clean background. The Twin Lites gave you some nice lighting here. Well done.