PDA

View Full Version : GBH on Ice

Bill Dix
12-27-2010, 10:18 AM
This fellow is my most reliable subject on my local lake. What I liked about this one was the warm late afternoon light on the bird, contrasted with the cool ice color. (And I'd never noticed the red on the feet, looking like they'll burn a hole in the ice.) Slight crop off bottom. Minor Levels adjustment, NR, USM. C&C appreciated.

D90 | 500VR | ISO 400 | 1/2000s @ f/6.3 | -1.3 EV

Joel Eade
12-27-2010, 12:36 PM
Hi Bill,

I like the pose, head angle and sharpness .. the eye is really nice.

Exposure looks spot on except maybe the white crest (it looks hot but I didn't check it)

If you have room I would try a crop with more on the bottom and right side.

Joel

Rene Quenneville
12-27-2010, 12:56 PM
very nice shot Bill. Quite unusual to see them on the ice. Very sharp and good lighting.

Randy Stout
12-27-2010, 04:02 PM
Bill:

Sharp, well exposed, really hunkered down, do like the unexpected sight of a GBH on ice!

The cropping is too tight for my tastes as well.

I would prefer more room all the way around.

Does he stay there all winter?

Cheers

Randy

Bill Dix
12-27-2010, 04:31 PM
Thank you all for the comments. I agree this is a little tight in the frame. It is almost full-frame, except that I cropped up from the bottom to get rid of a patch of rough ice that caused the leg reflection to fragment. He was so close that all my other shots that afternoon were head-and-shoulder details; I had to back off to get him complete in this shot. But it wouldn't be too difficult to add some canvas.

Yes, Randy, he is here all winter, with a bunch of his friends. The other afternoon there were seven of them hanging around the edges of the only patch of open water on the lake, just below a dam. This particular fellow likes a spot that is frequented by fishermen, so he's pretty tame.

Chris Martinez
12-27-2010, 06:50 PM
I'm so envious of your semi-tame Egrets and Herons. I don't know of anyplace that has waders that are approachable.
Those plumes look amazing and the setting is very pleasing though it looks a little cold!

Humberto Ramos
12-27-2010, 07:02 PM
In my opinion its not too tight, in this case we can see the beautiful detail of the Heron.

Rohan Kamath
12-27-2010, 09:21 PM
Fantastic details and exposure on the bird sir. Very nice setting here.

-Regards,
Rohan
__________________________________________________ _
Conservation begins at HOME... We CAN make a difference...

Mark Young
12-28-2010, 03:23 AM
Lovely pose and details Bill.

Dan Busby
12-28-2010, 01:33 PM
Beautiful Bill. Great exposure and sharpness really bring out the incredible textures and detail. A bit of a head turn might made it a bit more dynamic and a tad more room would be on my list.

Craig Brelsford
12-28-2010, 11:58 PM
I agree this is a little tight in the frame. It is almost full-frame, except that I cropped up from the bottom to get rid of a patch of rough ice that caused the leg reflection to fragment. He was so close that all my other shots that afternoon were head-and-shoulder details; I had to back off to get him complete in this shot. But it wouldn't be too difficult to add some canvas.

I can live with this crop; it has its uses, and Bill could only post one shot. I'm sure that the head-and-shoulder details are fine shots too. Also strong would have been a shot taken from further back showing some of the ice-world in which the heron is living.