PDA

View Full Version : Brambling II

Craig Brelsford
12-26-2010, 09:17 AM
Here's another brambling from the fruitfest I discovered in the Shanghai park last month. This is an adult male entering winter plumage. Busy, yes, but we get the whole bird while communicating the abundance of fruit and the hearty appetite of the long-distance migrant.

Device: Nikon D3S
Lens: VR 600mm F/4G
Focal length: 600mm
VR: OFF
Aperture: F/6.3
Shutter Speed: 1/250
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: 0EV
Metering: Center-Weighted
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 1000

Randy Stout
12-26-2010, 10:14 AM
Craig:
I think you have told the story you wanted to, very well. Strong sense of his environment and activity without being overpowering.

If it were mine, I would try a version with a crop in from the left to come just inside the large leaf LLC, trying to reduce the eye drawing clutter a bit. I can really see it either way, but would try it on for size, so to speak. Alternately, could do a subtle vignette of the corners to push our eyes towards the bird.

I would also try and tone down the brightest highlights in front of the breast.

Cheers

Randy

Joe Brown
12-26-2010, 10:27 AM
I agree with Randy's comments.
As well, I would boost the contrast and brightness a bit to give it a bit more punch.
If you have the room a portrait crop might also work.

Joe

Rohan Kamath
12-26-2010, 11:08 AM
I really like how the natural environment and the feeding of the bird has been presented here. The bits of fruit on the beak add nicely.
A beautiful species that we very seldom see here in India.

-Regards,
Rohan
__________________________________________________ _
Conservation begins at HOME... We CAN make a difference...

Ryan Schain
12-26-2010, 01:01 PM
I don't mind the cluttered environment at all with this image. I would definitely tone down that hot spot right in front of the breast as Randy said, and increase the contrast as well. Great iris detail!

Alan Murphy
12-26-2010, 02:32 PM
A nice habitat shot with a nice comp.

Arthur Morris
12-26-2010, 07:18 PM
I agree with Randy's comments.
As well, I would boost the contrast and brightness a bit to give it a bit more punch.
If you have the room a portrait crop might also work. Joe

Best to give it more pop by darkening the mid-tones.... If you increase the contrast the white BKGR holes will become more problematic.

Craig, you did very well from where you were with what you had. I'd suggest a small crop from the bottom. Perfect pose and head angle.

Craig Brelsford
12-27-2010, 07:59 AM
Thank you, everyone, for your comments!