Tripod + Wimberly II
580 EX II off camera 1/4 manual output, triggered with pocket wizard
ISO 200
f/6.3
1/125

ACR, CS5, Genuine Fractals

Gary Hamilton
12-25-2010, 12:43 PM
Nice details and head angle. The downy seems a bit large in the frame, something you might want to consider adjusting if you have more room. Can you describe your set-up for me? I need to re-work mine. I shoot a lot of these little guys (too many) while waiting to capture a northern flicker or pileated woodpecker visiting my set-ups. No luck so far with the bigger guys--they tend to land in the wrong spots or avoid the set-ups altogether because they get skittish.

Joel Eade
12-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Hi Gary,

I have a platform feeder on a 4x4 post in a Christmas tree holder. It is about 3 feet tall. I generally use Black Oil Sunflower Seeds and Suet

I use additional tree holders to prop up perches near the feeder. My blind is the pop up style called the "Outhouse" from American blinds.

Inside I have an old chair and my tripod/camera. I usually set up pretty close so I can avoid large crops.

I too have Pileated Woodpeckers and Flickers in the area but they are difficult to lure in. I think they like insects so much they don't come to the feeders much.

Joel

Arthur Morris
12-25-2010, 07:53 PM
I like the SH, the BKGR, and the almost B&W look. I would prefer a vertical for this traditional woodpecker image with a lot more room all around....

Nate Chappell
12-29-2010, 10:45 PM
Nice exposure and details, a little more room on top and bottom for my tastes.