PDA

View Full Version : Rough seas

Myer Bornstein
12-25-2010, 08:21 AM
My family went down to to Cape Cod Bay yesterday, the day was bright sunny and the seas were rough, this picture is the jetty at Schussed Beach in Bourne at the entrance to the Cape Cod Canal. and the waves were breaking over the jetty at high tide. Later we went up to Plymouth beach and the waves were breaking 20 feet over the sea wall. what a magnificent sight.

This picture was taken laying down on the rocks using them to support my Nikon D3s, 70-200 2.8 at 140 mm, f 11 ISO 400 1/800 Adjusted in PS with NIK HDR EFEX Pro. I did want to use V1veza but have a problem with my number

Happy Holidays

Roman Kurywczak
12-25-2010, 02:24 PM
Hey Myer,
Must have been quite the site!!! This is one of those cases....that lower may not have been better because in this image....the FG appears to dominate the scene and being OOF......it may have been better to go tighter. I know that the timing of the wave can be tricky, but IMO having it block the lighthouse wasn't ideal.....more to the left would be my preference so the scale would still be there. Did you use motor drive when composing this? May have helped with the wave action. I guess those are gulls in the sky.....and not sure if you are into it....but I would definitely remove them. Just some things to think about next time out in the field.

Myer Bornstein
12-25-2010, 04:34 PM
Roman Thanks for the comments please check out this link another perspective http://www.flickr.com/photos/photobee1/5290843896/ happy holidays

Robert Amoruso
12-25-2010, 06:13 PM
Hi Myer,

I saw your image this morning but was busy with other things. Roman sums up my thoughts really well.

Then I went the the link and that is the image I had in mind. Good juxtaposition. With the tall rock and lighthouse and the Pano crop strengthens the water's look by showing the strong waves rushing in.

Dave Mills
12-26-2010, 12:06 AM
Hi Myer, Agree about Romans comments summing up my thoughts also. When your that close to the foreground F11 will not give you the needed DOF. I checked out your link and feel that view is far stronger and separates the subjects(waves and light) which is lacking in the OP.

Roman Kurywczak
12-26-2010, 05:15 PM
Hey Myer,
Definitely the other one is stronger comp wise!!! Thanks for sharing that one too!