PDA

View Full Version : Canon EOS 1D Mk 111

Jonathan Michael Ashton
03-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Sorry if this has been discussed adnauseum but is there any site of the final fix on the AF issue in site. I think (but don't know for sure) many issues are resolved but I get the impression Canon think it can still be improved as it is still not as good as the Mk 11:confused:

Jon

Bob Ettinger
03-17-2008, 05:42 PM
Supposedly there is another fix but no due date or additional information. See Rob Galbraith's site for more details.

Jonathan Michael Ashton
03-18-2008, 03:35 AM
Thank you Bob, I was asking because I would like to buy one, but I don't want to spend that kind of money on something that is not perfect, they cost £2,300 to £2,500 over here
Jon

Robert O'Toole
03-18-2008, 08:05 AM
Thank you Bob, I was asking because I would like to buy one, but I don't want to spend that kind of money on something that is not perfect, they cost £2,300 to £2,500 over here
Jon

You are brave to even consider spending $5K on something like that considering all the problems since the day it was released.
The problem is even if, big if, camera is working 100% as advertised some day soon, the AF features and technology and a year or 2 behind now. Its time for a MKIIIN or better yet a MKIV :)

I shoot with both systems, C and N, by the way and I dont get paid by either.

Robert

Steve Ashton
03-18-2008, 08:24 AM
I must agree with Robert, This camera must be due a re work at the very least. If you can wait a short time I think you will not regret it.

I have seen very sensible priced MKIIn in the uk for as little as £800 in good condition and non pro use. These would be a much better option if your desperate.

I don't want to be involved in another N C debate but to date I have tested 5 MKIII cameras 3 1D and 2 IDS versions every single one has problems and in now way just AF. Hold on in there and enjoy your new 500mm on what ever body you have and don't get your fingers burned. There are good working MKIII out there and I think the Canon Quality control is more of a problem at this time than any specific AF problem.

If you want any more info please feel free to message me!!

Best Wishes Steve

Robert O'Toole
03-18-2008, 08:36 AM
I must agree with Robert, This camera must be due a re work at the very least. If you can wait a short time I think you will not regret it.

I don't want to be involved in another N C debate but to date I have tested 5 MKIII cameras 3 1D and 2 IDS versions every single one has problems and in now way just AF. Hold on in there and enjoy your new 500mm on what ever body you have and don't get your fingers burned. There are good working MKIII out there and I think the Canon Quality control is more of a problem at this time than any specific AF problem.

Very good points made Steve. A MKIIN would be a good reasonable, reliable way to go and have great AF.

I didnt even want to mention the non-AF problems, I have been shooting Canon pro SLRS for over 10 years and I am sure I have more than my share of stories :) Lets just say carrying 2 backup cameras has saved me more than once.

Robert

D. Robert Franz
03-18-2008, 08:36 AM
All the information I've seen seems to show that the latest mk3's coming off the shelves are performing excellently. A properly working Mk3 is as good as anything out there. My MK3 is now superior to my mk2 in every way..

Robert O'Toole
03-18-2008, 09:15 AM
A properly working Mk3 is as good as anything out there.

This holds true comparing Canon to Canon, I agree MKIII files are nice and clean.

But in terms of features and peformance the AF system is lacking in features, performance and technology today comparing other systems. The newer compeditors 51 point AF with 3D tracking works as advertised and is really unbelievable. The MKIII AF system just doesnt compare with newer cameras. I own both systems and I consider the both of them just tools so I am just stating things as a matter of fact.

Robert

Jonathan Michael Ashton
03-18-2008, 09:52 AM
Thanks everyone, I currently have a 20D and I am entirely happy with it, the main reason for considering the EOS 1D were that it has a faster burst speed (but having said that I have never really needed it!) and the fact that it produces slightly less noisy images. I was wondering about yet another fix on the horizon, I suspect those men at Canon are working there little socks off now that there seems to be a number of people switching from Canon to Nikon. I suspect a Mk 4 will appear before too long this will appear to be a brand new model as opposed to yet another revamp of the Mark 3.
I think I'll sit tight for the time being with the 20D - hey don't laugh I also have a 300D and that still produces great images!!
Jon

Steve Ashton
03-18-2008, 10:07 AM
Robert, I agree with you to sir!!! I used Nikon for 20 years with few if any problem. Canon has produced a lot of issues mainly poor build quality. I have had my 24-70 repaired twice in two years. Each time gears had worn out. The number of 580 flash gun repairs is beyond a joke.

I must say the MKIII I am testing at present is producing some great files and the AF locks on very fast in single shot which is great for my press work. However I will be staying with the MKIIN as my main camera. Strange but the MKIII just seems like damaged goods now so many bad experiences.