PDA

View Full Version : Tuck in...

Steve Kaluski
12-25-2010, 03:17 AM
Well I thought this might be appropriate time to post this one.

For most of the day this sow & spring cubs had been patrolling the river for a tasty Salmon or two, although the hit rate was not that high considering the abundance of fish in the river. For me this was one of the best moments, to get so close & to watch the interaction within the family. BTW the cub isn't being polite in holding the Salmon, he was after all of it, likewise Mum & the other cub who is slightly hidden from view.

The images taken on this trip are not from platforms, hides, honey pots or indeed 'special' locations, they are all out in the wilds of Katmai, Alaska, several hundred miles away from any civilisation and is purely down to patience and a fantastic Bear guide.

Hope you all enjoy your Xmas lunch and have a Great Xmas. :cheers:

Steve
MKIII 70-200f/2.8 1/500sec f/5.6 ISO400 (HH, cropped slightly, almost FF)

Shreyas Mantri
12-25-2010, 11:51 AM
Steve, I guess this is what you were talking about in your earlier post :)
I'm an avid fan of "action" shots rather than portraits.....and the disturbed rack of eggs makes it for me!!
A classic grizzly action captured well, but on my uncalibrated monitor I do feel the whitish background could be toned down a bit!

Enjoyed this a lot, thanks for sharing!

Shreyas

Robert Amoruso
12-25-2010, 01:12 PM
I agree a good capture o the action. You need to do my highlight control on the BG.

Grant Atkinson
12-25-2010, 01:30 PM
Hi Steve, this is a great depiction of a day in the life of the bear family, and another strong shot from your Alaska visit. Like the details on moms face and fur, and that outstretched claw belonging to junior bear is a nice touch. Low shooting angle helps too.
cheers
Grant

Harshad Barve
12-25-2010, 08:29 PM
Yet another excellent image Steve , agreed with Robert here
TFS

Steve Kaluski
12-26-2010, 03:47 AM
Hi Robert, would welcome you advice here. :)

Steve

Hilary Hann
12-26-2010, 07:07 AM
Beautiful image and as I had salmon for Christmas as well, I can relate to their obvious pleasure in the meal.

Steve Kaluski
12-26-2010, 07:17 AM
Hi Hilary when are you off and how long for? Irrespective of the 40D, have you got everything, anything you need to ask us ALL?

Steve :)

Andrew Aveley
12-26-2010, 10:29 AM
Steve, superb work all-round ! :cool:

Tom Redd
12-26-2010, 01:45 PM
Steve, great shot. I would agree, if you could tone down the BG some, it would help, IMHO. All in all, well done.

Todd Frost
12-26-2010, 02:46 PM
Another nice image from the trip. Agree re: toning down the bg. Good action captured and nice and sharp. Well done.
TFS
Todd

Hilary Hann
12-26-2010, 03:57 PM
Hi Hilary when are you off and how long for? Irrespective of the 40D, have you got everything, anything you need to ask us ALL?

Steve :)

Hi Steve, off Friday. Taking the 7d & 5d2. Taking a carbon fibre tripod (bought using prize money from landscape award), first time I've bothered with one. Will PM you re the 40D.

A quick guide to shooting rim lit images would be good! :D

Like every trip, just hoping that everything works and that I remember to use my filters and check my camera settings. Ah well, we just keep our fingers crossed. Thanks for asking.

Steve Canuel
12-27-2010, 01:47 AM
Nice interaction here. The color of the flesh and the flying eggs provide a nice bit of color. I personally like the BG as is, looks quite natural to me and makes the bears stand out nicely from the BG.

Rachel Hollander
12-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Steve - another great bear shot. I too really like the splash of red that the salmon and its roe add. Well captured as usual.

TFS,
Rachel

Hendri Venter
01-05-2011, 01:15 AM
I can only agree with above comments. Great work Steve.