PDA

View Full Version : Redwood drop

Aidan Briggs
12-24-2010, 04:28 PM
I'm not really sure how well this image works. I was itching to get out after it had been raining for three days, and I ended up shooting water drops on various plants in my front yard.

50D, Canon 60mm macro
1/200 sec, f/2.8, ISO 640
Handheld

Norm Dulak
12-24-2010, 04:53 PM
I'm not really sure how well this image works. I was itching to get out after it had been raining for three days, and I ended up shooting water drops on various plants in my front yard.

50D, Canon 60mm macro
1/200 sec, f/2.8, ISO 640
Handheld

Wow Aidan! A handheld water drop macro at 1/200 sec! Pretty impressive, considering the sharp result. :)

Beyond the foregoing remarks, I have a question and a suggestion.

My question is, do you know what the white filamentous structures are that radiate from 1 to 8 o'clock over the water drop? It almost looks like a mitotic spindle without the chromosomes.

My suggestion would be to crop out the approximate top half of the image, making it a square crop, because the interest for me is strictly in the water drop. A repost showing this possibility, in which I've also cloned out some peripheral leaf structures, is attached for your review.

Very interesting, and very nice!

Norm

Anita Bower
12-25-2010, 07:28 PM
I find the water drop fascinating. It gleams like a pearl caught in a liquid spider web. I was also going to suggest cropping some off the top, but taking less off than Norm did.

Christopher Miller
12-25-2010, 09:36 PM
Nice work, Aidan! I love water drops. :) Excellent sharpness and DOF. I agree with taking some off the top, but I would only crop it to just below the needle tip in the URC.

Aidan Briggs
12-26-2010, 01:09 AM
Thanks for the comments Norm, Anita, and Christopher!!

I agree about cropping from the top, here is a repost.

Norm- the filamentous structures are just reflections in the water droplet.

Christopher Miller
12-26-2010, 08:09 AM
Looks great, Aidan! :)

Dave Leroy
12-26-2010, 10:25 AM
Lovely shot Aidan.
All three versions have attractions although I do like your second repost.

The surface tension of the water really looks cool.

Amazing what can be found in such a simple everyday "thing".

Dave

Roman Kurywczak
12-27-2010, 09:50 AM
Hey Aidan,
Christopher covered my thoughts on the crop well and your repost nails it for me! I do feel Norms crop also has merit.....but better to do that version when exploring in the field! Nice find and very well done overall.

Anita Bower
12-27-2010, 10:00 AM
I like the second crop you posted. Very nice. You encourage me to go out and look at the ordinary.

Steve Maxson
12-27-2010, 01:27 PM
Hi Aidan. This is a very cool image. I was going to suggest cropping of the top, but your repost has done exactly that. Norm's repost also makes for an interesting alternative. Well done.

Ken Childs
12-28-2010, 08:14 AM
Hey Aidan, I love the subject and was going to suggest a similar crop to what's already been suggested by many before me. Something else to look at would be a bit of a CW rotation so the stem is entering the frame somewhat closer to the URC. Well done!