PDA

View Full Version : Morning at Bryce

Roman Kurywczak
12-24-2010, 02:04 PM
This was from my November tour to Zion and Bryce. Put the longer lens on to do some close ups of the light hitting the hoodooos.
Canon 1D Mark lll with the 28-135mm lens at 75mm at f22 for 0.4 sec. at ISO 100. All tripod mounted with bubble level in HS.
Saved at 49 qulity to fit....yikes!

Randy Stout
12-24-2010, 02:54 PM
Roman:

I really like the rich,warm colors, light here. Good choice to come in a bit tighter in your framing.
I think the hoodooos are balanced by the trees and strong ridge running off to the right.

It is silly, but the dead tree in the right lower corner bugs me. Might toy with removing it.

Very nicely done.

Cheers

Randy

Dave Mills
12-24-2010, 03:03 PM
Hi Roman, beautiful early light which is critical at Bryce in order to show the hoodoos at their best. Amazing how fast the light can flatten those out. Good eye in picking out a section that creates a diagonal line out of the hoodoos.The bits of green also adds interest. Well handled!!

Nick Palmieri
12-24-2010, 08:49 PM
Gorgeous light!

Brendan Dozier
12-25-2010, 03:29 PM
Awesome rich light, and nice composition

Robert Amoruso
12-25-2010, 06:15 PM
Always a tough place to decide how to crop and not have edge distractions, you did it well here Roman. Awesome light.

Jay Gould
12-26-2010, 06:11 PM
Aren't the hoodoos beautiful; been there when just dusted with snow - before i started playing with cameras seriously - seriously?

:)

I agree with Randy, I would remove the two dead trees in the LLC, and I would crop in from the left to a point just before the light colored hoodoos start.

For me, the crop emphasizes the contrasting color in the hoodoos, and creates a "bleachers" multi-level image.

Just another way of looking at a beautiful scene well captured.

Andrew McLachlan
12-27-2010, 08:30 PM
Love it as is Roman. Beautiful light.

Morkel Erasmus
12-31-2010, 05:20 AM
super light, colour and perspective here Roman...I need to get to the USA and visit these wonderful sceneries with you...

Ron Bernstein
01-01-2011, 06:24 PM
Very lovely, as everyone has noted. Love the crop, as is. I wonder what it would do to this image to darken the edges a bit, which would keep the eye within the arresting central subject, perhaps with Nik's darken/lighten center.

I find the comment about the dead tree interesting, and know there are many who feel that death in nature should be avoided in favor of the lushness of the peak of life. I fall into the keep-the-cycle-of-life camp, especially where this is just a detail.

I hope this comment spurs some discussion on that topic.

Well done, Roman!

Gerald_Gilligan
01-06-2011, 01:40 AM
Hey Roman,
This image has a 3 dimensional quality to it...
The light is beautiful and the sharpness is held through out.
I like it as is!

Jerry

Jay Gould
01-06-2011, 02:49 AM
Very lovely, as everyone has noted. Love the crop, as is. I wonder what it would do to this image to darken the edges a bit, which would keep the eye within the arresting central subject, perhaps with Nik's darken/lighten center.

I find the comment about the dead tree interesting, and know there are many who feel that death in nature should be avoided in favor of the lushness of the peak of life. I fall into the keep-the-cycle-of-life camp, especially where this is just a detail.

I hope this comment spurs some discussion on that topic.

Well done, Roman!

Ron, I don't have any issue with death; I just think that this piece of wood does not add to the story.