PDA

View Full Version : Snowy Egret Defending His Territory

Gayle Clement
03-17-2008, 12:10 PM
As the birds returned to roost on a small rookery there was much jockeying for space. A little blue heron landed directly below the snowy, causing this reaction.

Comments and critiques welcome and greatly appreciated.

Nikon D2Xs
Nikkor 500mm f/4
Nikkor TC-EII 1.4 Teleconverter
160/s at f/5.6
ISO 200

chad anderson
03-17-2008, 12:18 PM
this is really beautiful, it really shows of that spectacular plumage---and all the techs are great too.

Andrew George
03-17-2008, 12:49 PM
Nice soft light and pose. It looks like the photo has a small green colorcast?

Blake Shadle
03-17-2008, 12:52 PM
Very nice work, Gayle. I might try to tone down the feathers on his back. The area of the stick in shadow tends to pull my eye away from your subject, so I might crop from the bottom right above that. I really the pose and the intense stare.

Gary Dumer
03-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Stunning Image, This is Art not just a picture of a bird!!!

Very Well Done from Here!!!

Alexander Koenders
03-17-2008, 01:59 PM
I dreampicture wich i really love

susanschermer
03-17-2008, 02:08 PM
I love your image, but I thought it could use a little more crop. Took the liberty. Do you like it better?

Blake Shadle
03-17-2008, 02:22 PM
I love your image, but I thought it could use a little more crop. Took the liberty. Do you like it better?

Very nice work, Susan. I like the space in the original horizontal, but this is a very exciting composition. All attention is drawn to the subject and the incredible pose.

EDIT: on second thought, I really like the repost.

susanschermer
03-17-2008, 02:31 PM
This is not my image, Blake; wish it was. I merely cropped it. It is Gayle Clements'.

Blake Shadle
03-17-2008, 02:35 PM
This is not my image, Blake; wish it was. I merely cropped it. It is Gayle Clements'.

I know ;) You did a fine job coming up with a very please composition...

Paul Pagano
03-17-2008, 05:03 PM
I like the original and the repost too....I'd be ecstatic if I'd have shot this one...beautiful subdued light and a really nice pose! I think yes just a bit of a tone down on some of the whites on the back..

DanWalters
03-17-2008, 05:07 PM
Nice shot. Great light and behaviour. I actually like the first one.

Raul Quinones
03-17-2008, 05:16 PM
Awesome picture, like both, but I prefer the first one.

Gayle Clement
03-17-2008, 05:23 PM
Thanks for all of the comments everyone. I was really pleased with this one and left it totally uncropped so that I could get feedback on the crop. My favorite so far is to crop is as a horizontal, cutting out only the shadowed branches, Blake's original suggestion. I like Susan's crop but fear it's a little too tight in front of the bird. Now I have to figure out how to tone down the bright spots!

I also agree with Andrew about the slight green cast. Originally it was quite green. The late light on the budding Louisiana cypresses cast a really green light. I use Robert O'Toole's Blur/Average technique to take out some of the green cast, backing it down halfway so I wouldn't lose the soft light and have a bright white bird. I will try a print and maybe back off on the colorcast a bit more.

Thanks again for all of the help and advice!

Daniel Cadieux
03-17-2008, 07:06 PM
All points already mentioned and dealt with. Just want to mention that this is an extraordinary show of feathers and breeding plumage. Could not have asked for a better pose.

Maxis Gamez
03-17-2008, 07:20 PM
The repost works best. There is a strong green cast.

Dave Phillips
03-17-2008, 08:09 PM
beautiful Gayle, and the recrop is quite nice...fellow Louisianian had to play too.
White balance a bit and killed hot spot and brightened rest of egret a wee bit

Gayle Clement
03-17-2008, 09:10 PM
Again, thanks for the comments and assistance. Daniel, I watched this snowy and took many photos of different poses because he was the only one on a branch with a clean background. I actually have even better display but have a few sticks and shadows on those.

I tried the crop, multiplying the very bright areas of the back, and removing the green. The biggest difference between mine and fellow Louisisian Dave is that I left a little of the warm late afternoon light on the bird.

James Salywoda
03-17-2008, 10:01 PM
Superb Image Gayle !!!!!

Kirk Benson
03-19-2008, 12:04 AM
It's already been mentioned many times but I must chime in, absolutely beautiful image no matter how you decide to crop it. Thanks for sharing Gayle.