PDA

View Full Version : Venice Rookery: Has anyone been there recently?

Randy Stout
12-23-2010, 09:32 PM
Good evening all:

I have heard that there has been a lot of clearing of the back trees/bushes at the rookery, and then it has caused the birds to leave.

Can anyone confirm this from a recent visit?

Details would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Randy

Marina Scarr
12-28-2010, 11:05 PM
Randy, there is a good thread going on in the Florida forum of NSN which you will probably find most useful regarding the Venice Rookery. Haven't been there myself but this wlll help you for sure.

Randy Stout
12-29-2010, 08:24 AM
Thanks Marina:

I checked it out. To summarize, it appears that all the surrounding vegetation has been cut down to the ground, so no green backgrounds when shooting from the normal spots. Will be able to access the backside of the island to shoot later in the day, but the background will then be the pavillion and the landfill.

This change was apparently done to eliminate some of the invasive species, and native plants were suppose to be planted. None yet however. Even in Florida's climate, it will take years to get enough growth to give a good background again.

More importantly, because there aren't any roosting spots around the island, I wonder how significantly this will effect the bird population. The report said that there are four pairs of GBH nesting, and essentially nothing else.

The island itself really needed the work, to thin and remove the Brazilian pepper. I guess they didn't want to do the difficult job working out there and putting up with the alligator too.

I will be on the ground in early Feb. and will give an update.

I am afraid that short term at least, we have lost one of the most productive spots in the state.

Randy

Chuck Nakell
02-05-2012, 09:59 PM
I was at the rookery yesterday (February 4th), and could see the vegetation that has been cut down along the edges. At the same time, the main roosting area in the middle of the water was so full of birds and activity that someone with me there jokingly said they feared it might just sink into the water. Amazing displays by egrets, herons, ibis and others. My best stop during my Florida trip so far. Go there now. I returning there tomorrow at dusk.

Roger Clark
02-05-2012, 11:47 PM
Randy,
I was there last year (March if I remember correctly) and while the vegetation is not like before, and the backgrounds present more challenges, especially for flight, it is still a great place. Some new positives and some negatives. Better ops in the afternoon now, but aesthetically what use to be a nice secluded park is not secluded any more with the views of the trailer park in the west.

Roger