PDA

View Full Version : Slevin's Short Toed Gecko

Bob Reimer
03-17-2008, 12:04 PM
Last week we were out north west of Al Ain in one of the inter-dunal gravel plains intending to light trap insects. Unfortunately the generator decided not to run so we didn't manage that. While wandering around looking for fuel to use for the kettle, we came across this little Slevin's Short Toed Gecko (Stenodactylus slevini). While not the most cooperative subject, I did manage to get low ahead of him to get this shot. I think he should pass the HAP :) I had the AF on 51pt during this session and was amazed how often the camera picked the gecko's eye.

My question: should I clone out the reflection of the flash in the pupil or leave it?

Nikon D300, Nikkor 70-180 Micro at 100mm, 1/60, F/16, -2/3 EV, Aperture Priority, ISO 200, SB800 with diffuser on hot shoe. Processed with DxO Optics 5, rotated about 20° due to the camera being on the ground. Crop gets rid of the horizon.

Mike Moats
03-17-2008, 04:16 PM
Hey Bob, very cool shot, the eye really makes the shot. Well done.

Steve Maxson
03-17-2008, 05:09 PM
Great sharpness around the head. These guys have really cool looking eyes! re your question - I would suggest cloning out the bright catchlight, or at least toning it down. The whole image looks a bit dark on my monitor.

Robert O'Toole
03-17-2008, 08:22 PM
Leave the CL in Bob!
Agreed with Steve about the image looking slightly dark looking overall.

Robert

Bob Reimer
03-18-2008, 11:22 PM
The shot is at night with the flash being the main light. I did use a flashlight to help me keep track of him, but I don't think it contributed too much to the light in the scene. It was only a quarter moon but it was bright enough to see where you were going but not show little critters hiding in the shadows. I think this accounts for the dark appearance.

Alfred Forns
03-20-2008, 02:39 PM
Another vote for leaving Bob !!! Glad you got the head angle With those huge eyes the HAP police might ask for the death penalty !!!!1