PDA

View Full Version : A lake northern Colorado

Bill Randall
12-23-2010, 06:17 PM
A single image run through Photomatix

Roman Kurywczak
12-23-2010, 09:31 PM
Debating this one Bill......has a HDR look......and some of the colors may be over the top.....but for me the brightness of the mountins just looks a bit too over the top. Try toning that down and see where that takes you.

Jay Gould
12-23-2010, 11:12 PM
I have to ask because level images is a bugaboo of mine.

CW?

Bill Randall
12-23-2010, 11:22 PM
Jay,
Sorry I don't understand the question can you tell what CW means?

Jay Gould
12-23-2010, 11:24 PM
Hi Bill, clockwise rotation. CCW is counter clockwise rotation.

I am question why your image is not level in my opinion.

Arthur Morris
12-24-2010, 09:29 AM
Like the dramatic sky and the scene. Needs more room on the bottom for the tops of the tree reflections. As Roman noted, sky color is over the top. The whites in the sky look burned. And the trees look mega noisy--that often coming from various HDR treatments....

Dave Mills
12-24-2010, 10:10 AM
Hi Bill, by running a pseudo HDR(not combining images) there is a tendancy for the image to be greatly lightened. While detail has been kicked up there is also the introduction of noise. I too feel the overall color has been altered along with the mountain's brightness. Agree with Art's comment regarding the need for more room at the bottom so as not to cut the tree reflection....

Andrew McLachlan
12-24-2010, 01:25 PM
Hi Bill, I too love the scene and the cloud formations. Agree with Arthur on the more clouds in the reflection and the noise issues. If it were mine I would clean up the thing in the water on the right side and also the reddish line (contrail or cloud?) on the right side above the mountains.

Robert Amoruso
12-24-2010, 01:59 PM
Hi Bill,

I would agree with the comments above. Too HDR looking for a landscape for me.

Your could use the HDR image for detail in the trees and layer it with a straight image with the clouds t their best.

Bill Randall
12-24-2010, 05:21 PM
Thanks guys. It was an experiment, but I like Robert's idea of layering the original over this. Jay you are right, I didn't notice it. I was standing on a small floating dock that probably pitched slight from my "modest weight".

Andrew Aveley
12-29-2010, 03:38 PM
less is sometimes more with HDR images. With a little more experimenting, i am sure this can be a really cool image!

Katherine Enns
12-30-2010, 12:17 AM
its lovely but it is crooked and is there some vignetting in the upper left corner? (who am I to say this, half my shots are arsed over on one side, if you will pardon my french canadian.)

k

Morkel Erasmus
12-31-2010, 05:32 AM
can't really add to the thoughtful critiques above Bill...HDR definitely overcooked in this one.

Jay I see where you're coming from with the water-level being the best gauge for "straightness" of the horizon, but to my eye the opposite bank is running "deeper" into the scene and should therefore not be represented as totally level? :)

Jay Gould
01-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Morkel, definitely a fair call by the artist!